Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cwm Pennant Horseshoe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cwm Pennant Horseshoe

For those interested, the first ever running of the Pedol Cwm Pennant Horseshoe will be ran next Saturday the 15th June at 1100hrs from the Cwm Pennant Hostel. Hoping for a low key event for the first year with interest building once people appreciate the wonders of the route.

Map and race details attached.

Start:

Cwm Pennant Youth hostel 1100hrs GR: 524437

From the hostel head along the minor road as directed until reaching a farm gate at 534441. Follow an old grassy track onto marsh land and continue on to the old Cwm Pennant tramway. From here, head generally SE to E before hitting the Cwmystradllyn road at GR 551441. Follow this for 200 metres until you reach on old iron farm gate. Go through this gate and a number of other gates before reaching checkpoint 1.

Checkpoint 1: Tal y Llyn track junction. GR: 559449

From the track junction head N and NE, going through a gate and over two stiles. The second stile at GR 559449 will take you onto the flanks of Moel Hebog. NOTE – the route is marked from the start up to this point. In poor visibility navigation from here could be tough, but roughly head NNE for checkpoint 2.

Checkpoint 2: Summit of Moel Hebog, 782metres. GR: 565469

From the summit of Hebog the route now follows most of the Paddy Buckley route (for those of your familiar with this). Head NW dropping steeply to Bwlch Meillionen, avoid veering off to the SSW or ENE. Reach the Bwlch at GR 560475. From here climb through a cleft in the rock heading NW and reach the rocky summit of Moel yr Ogof at GR 556479 and 655metres.

Checkpoint 3: Summit of Moel yr Ogof, 655metres. GR: 556479

Continue along the ridge crossing a stile at GR 555479. Continue along the ridge, skirting to the left of the rocky tors of Moel Lefn before arriving at the summit and checkpoint 3, the summit of Moel Lefn.

Checkpoint 4: Summit of Moel Lefn, 638metres, GR: 553487

From the summit of Moel Lefn head N, this section is rocky and rough so take care, especially in wet conditions. The route snakes its way through Craig Cwm Trwsgl arriving at Bwlch Cwm Trwsgl at GR 552497. Importantly here, follow the signage and don’t head NNE into the woodland! The route now veers around the eponymous Y Gyrn before arriving at checkpoint 4, Bwlch y Ddwy-elor.

Checkpoint 5: Bwlch y Ddwy-elor, 420metres, GR: 552504

This is roughly half way and there’ll be a cut off of 2.5 hrs here. This will be the first official water and refreshment point so get fuelled up. Next comes the second biggest climb of the route as you head NW towards Trum y Ddysgl. Importantly at GR 543514 you do not head NE to the summit but head SW towards Tal y Mignedd.

Checkpoint 6: Below Trum y Ddysgl, 700metres GR: 543514

The next section has one particularly dangerous section at GR 540513. On your NW side there’s a sheer drop of hundreds of feet so take care. The next section is the best running of the route but also the route highlight as you head W to the summit and enormous obelisk of Tal y Mignedd and checkpoint 5.

Checkpoint 7: Mynydd Tal-y-Mignedd, 653metres, GR: 535514

From the obelisk head SSW, at GR 534508 there’s another tricky and rough rocky descent which can be avoided with local knowledge. Again take care in wet conditions. Arrive at Bwlch Dros-bern before readying for another tough, steep and rocky climb. The route veers NNW before skirting back onto the ridge and heading for the rocky plateau of Craig Cwm Silyn. Avoid veering off to the N or S here. The next section could be tricky in low cloud but basically head SW for the trig point of Garnedd Goch, you’ll hit a wall at GR 519499. Stick with the wall which will lead you to the summit and checkpoint 6.

Checkpoint 8: Garnedd Goch, 700metres, GR: 511495.

Here comes the wildest part of the whole route as you head down Cwm Ciprwth. This Cwm has no real paths, occasionally you’ll come across a good sheep trod, especially the closer you get to the river. But basically, it’s your own line down to the gate / river crossing at GR: 520480. From here on the route will be marked, but in essence it follows a Tir Gofal path down to a restored water mill before hitting a grassy track which snakes on down to the road just beyond Ciprwth and Checkpoint 7.

Checkpoint 9: Cwm Pennant road, GR: 532469.

This will be the second main water and refreshment point, from here you have just over 3km of flat running to the finish. Follow the main road and markers to the S, avoid both left turns at GR 531458 and GR 532454. Continue along the road until GR 525446, this will be marked and you’ll cross a stile and a bridge before heading SE and S to Beudy Parc farm. Run through the farmyard, following the markers before hitting the track at GR 527442 and running the last 670 metres to the finish at the Youth Hostel.
    Last edited by RhosgadMath; 06-06-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Mistaken direction

Re: Cwm Pennant Horseshoe

Wow! that looks a fantastic route! :thumbup:

I just need to work on Lady Slugge for yet another pass-out...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Edit: the route now has official CPs on Moel Ogof and at 543514, so these questions are not relevant
    Quote Originally Posted by RhosgadMath View Post
    Checkpoint 2: Summit of Moel Hebog, 782metres. GR: 565469

From the summit of Hebog the route now follows most of the Paddy Buckley route (for those of your familiar with this). Head NW dropping steeply to Bwlch Meillionen, avoid veering off to the SSW or ENE. Reach the Bwlch at GR 560475. From here climb through a cleft in the rock heading NW and reach the rocky summit of Moel yr Ogof at GR 556479 and 655metres, this is not a checkpoint but it may be marshalled.
    Looking at the map might it be easier to skirt to the W of Moel yr Ogof? Save you 50m of climb? Or is the terrain no good?
    Checkpoint 4: Bwlch y Ddwy-elor, 420metres, GR: 552504

Next comes the second biggest climb of the route as you head NW towards Trum y Ddysgl. Importantly at GR 543514 you do not head NE to the summit but head SW towards Tal y Mignedd. This may be marshalled but will not be a checkpoint. The next section has one particularly dangerous section at GR 540513. On your NW side there’s a sheer drop of hundreds of feet so take care. The next section is the best running of the route but also the route highlight as you head W to the summit and enormous obelisk of Tal y Mignedd and checkpoint 5.
    Is there a lower, more direct line staying well SW of 543514?
    Last edited by LissaJous; 06-06-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Route / CPs changed so no longer relevant

I'm down to do Ennerdale this Saturday. However, you only get one opportunity to do a first edition of a race. Also, I neglect areas in preference to the Lakes as it is. Plus, this is actually closer than Ennerdale. Plus, I'm knackered from the Duddon race last Saturday and a slightly shorter race with less climbing might be a better option. I think I know where this is going...

Plus, I've just realised that it's not on the same day as Ennerdale anyway - happy days!
    Last edited by MarkL; 04-06-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    Looking at the map might it be easier to skirt to the W of Moel yr Ogof? Save you 50m of climb? Or is the terrain no good?

Does this mean:
    Next comes the second biggest climb of the route as you head NW towards Trum y Ddysgl. Importantly at GR 543514 you do not head NE to the summit but head WSW towards Tal y Mignedd. This may be marshalled but will not be a checkpoint. The next section has one particularly dangerous section at GR 540513. On your N side there’s a sheer drop of hundreds of feet so take care. The next section is the best running of the route but also the route highlight as you head W to the summit and enormous obelisk of Tal y Mignedd and checkpoint 5.

Mostly slight adjustments apart from the first which is NW and not NE!

Ogof is pretty shit terrain.. and you only save a bit for the extra height on a good path...
    there may be a line around the side but it would need reccying to be worth it at all.. its the paddy route between Mh and Nantlle ridge so great running..

Going into the cwm direct? is that what you are saying, would be a big gamble I think its dangerous in there but I've never been in it proper.. its a fast climb and descent of TyDd... and its chossy and steep in the cwm...

Photo here..

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2996464

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Ogof is pretty shit terrain.. and you only save a bit for the extra height on a good path...
    there may be a line around the side but it would need reccying to be worth it at all.. its the paddy route between Mh and Nantlle ridge so great running..

Going into the cwm direct? is that what you are saying, would be a big gamble I think its dangerous in there but I've never been in it proper.. its a fast climb and descent of TyDd... and its chossy and steep in the cwm...
    Thanks Iain, I had a look at Google Earth now, think I understand. It's steeper than it looks on the map! Does the Paddy Buckley go to all the summits though? Or have people already worked out exactly these lines?

And in another change of plan since 5 minutes ago, I think I will do a bit of reccying after Moel Hebog (maybe on Sunday).

Here's the photo: the question was whether, after going left along the lower ridge, it is possible to continue in a straight line roughly to the left edge of the photo, instead of going up and down.
    Last edited by LissaJous; 04-06-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: explained question on photo

yeah the paddy also visits MO.. but its just that its therefore a good path.. you can miss the actual summit by 20 yards but its just a small climb. I can't remember why but I once reccied some lower traverses and it was pretty horrid terrain.. the descent from MO is down to a style then a fast track to ML.. not sure which summit there but where you come off the path can save a few minutes.. it has 2 or 3 summits.. all similar height. Its a fairly fast route, lots of running.. and no super long or steep climbs once up Hebog.

Up in N Wales this weekend for the Castles Relay... I'm running Maentwrog (Oakley Arms) to Harlech.... so a second weekend away might be a bit too much... was up there at the start of the month, got Welsh Highland from Pont Croesor to Rhydd Ddu and then ran back along the ridge to Hebog, with a final push over Moel Ddu back to where we were staying... awesome country, and deserted..
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post

Does this mean:
    Next comes the second biggest climb of the route as you head NW towards Trum y Ddysgl. Importantly at GR 543514 you do not head NE to the summit but head WSW towards Tal y Mignedd. This may be marshalled but will not be a checkpoint. The next section has one particularly dangerous section at GR 540513. On your N side there’s a sheer drop of hundreds of feet so take care. The next section is the best running of the route but also the route highlight as you head W to the summit and enormous obelisk of Tal y Mignedd and checkpoint 5.

Mostly slight adjustments apart from the first which is NW and not NE!

Aye, cheers for that spot, I'll get it changed.

Regards the lower option - as Iain states that terrain ain't the best, there's also land ownership issues hence why sticking to ridge, as well as being able to run over some excellent terrain en-route is by far the best option.

Regards Moel yr Ogof, have an increase in volunteers so may stick a CP on the summit after all?

[QUOTE=RhosgadMath;543639]Aye, cheers for that spot, I'll get it changed.

Regards the lower option - as Iain states that terrain ain't the best, there's also land ownership issues hence why sticking to ridge, as well as being able to run over some excellent terrain en-route is by far the best option.

Regards Moel yr Ogof, have an increase in volunteers so may stick a CP on the summit after all?[/QUOTE
    ] best put a check point on all the tops if you can, as talking lines that miss out a significant part of the advertised route only detracts from what is an excellent route and I speak from experience of having just recently recce d the course