Thread: sore shins

sore shins

Hi people i'm wondering if anyone else has expereinced the same thing...

i have recently upped my milage running wise and have noticed pain in the front of both my shins, i have suffered from shin splints before and the pain i'm getting now is somewhat different its more of a stiff muscle ache

anyway three weeks ago i went to see a podatrist who looked at my feet and said that my arches had dropped slightly but were still good and gave me some moderate arch supports, she said the shin and heel pain were all connected and said should disapate...

i have noticed a slight difference in my shins and had less pain however this morning they are really sore, i also do boxing and went for a fell run on sunday, i try and stretch and use ibourpften and avoid running on the roads i only do one 5mile run a week on the road which is hilly the rest is out on the fells

i do not want to stop running but dont know what else to do i use the arch supports everytime i go out running, will the pain go in time ? is it just my muscles growing ?

thanks for reading people

Master

Re: sore shins

Assuming this is shin splints again - and it feels a bit different because you are getting them at a higher mileage - then you need to stretch and strengthen. Stretch - kneel with the top of your feet on the floor/ground, and sit back onto your feet. Strengthen - 1/ back against a wall, heels about a foot from the wall, slowly lift your forefeet up and lower them equally slowly - 10 to 20 times twice a day 2/ a similar exercise, but on the bottom step, heels on the edge, forefeet hanging over - go slowly up and down as far as you can - do a similar number of times. Stretch and strengthen your calves as well. Avoid ibuprofen unless you really need it. As to the cause - you may need to back off the mileage a bit - and avoid reaching forward with your feet - shorten your stride and land with your feet underneath you. Good luck.

Hi Mike

Thankyou for that, i am back from a 5mile walk and they feel a little better, i have a resistance band that i wrap around my foot and stretch the planatar fascia, i also push it up and down with my foot to use the muscle at the front of the shin, i will try those stretches you kindly suggested, i think that once you have suffered from bloody shin splints they can come back, i dont always use ibuproften i do try and avoid it, can tight calf muscles cause them ?
    anyway again thanks for your response
    charlotte

Master

Tight calves are felt to contribute to the development of shin splints.

i will remember to stretch stretch stretch then , thanks again