Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drink Sponsorship of Sport

Re: Drink Sponsorship of Sport

Dr H Tool, I have to agree with you on that front that it is "Peer Pressure" that is the main driver, and an advertising ban would have little effect on that. I used to work away from home and arrive back at my local train station at 9pm on a Friday night. My walk home used to involve walking through the town park where the kids were hanging about. You would have the group of 16+ yr olds drinking (and having a great time) while the groups of 10+ yr olds were hanging about waiting to be old enough to start drinking. I have no idea where you would even start to tackle that problem, minimum price would be one. Parential responsibility is a big problem there.

As an aside I started this thread becasue of a discussion I heard on Irish radio. It was on again this morning and it has been kicked into the "proverbial long grass". One of the reasons is a potential bit for the Rugby World Cup in 2024 and the need for the beer companies to pay for it. I think there is a good case for dictators who will make the hard decisions.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 11-06-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Dr H Tool, I have to agree with you on that front that it is "Peer Pressure" that is the main driver, and an advertising ban would have little effect on that. I used to work away from home and arrive back at my local train station at 9pm on a Friday night. My walk home used to involve walking through the town park where the kids were hanging about. You would have the group 16+ yr olds drinking (and having a great time) while the groups of 10+ yr olds were hanging about waiting to be old enough to start drinking. I have no idea where you would even start to tackle that problem. Parential responsibility is a big problem there.

As an aside I started this thread becasue of a discussion I heard on Irish radio. It was on again this morning and it has been kicked into the "proverbial long grass". One of the reasons is a potential bit for the Rugby World Cup in 2024 and the need for the beer companies to pay for it. I think there is a good case for dictators who will make the hard decisions.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens in Qatar.. in Brazil FIFA have pressured them to allow sale of beer in stadiums so the law was changed..

[QUOTEI think there is a good case for dictators who will make the hard decisions.[/QUOTE]

Well when CL gets off his soap box and acts on getting elected!, because he does not touch alcohol (well he had a coctail at New Year and got a little giddy and giggly)
    'Take the Long Way Home'

Quote Originally Posted by Dr H Tool View Post
    [QUOTEI think there is a good case for dictators who will make the hard decisions.
    Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan! No kissing in public either!
    'Take the Long Way Home'

I don't follow some of the outrage here. Alcohol advertising in sports is usually well targetted at the fans of that particular sport and, for cricket and rugby, its more about beer rather than spirits, with fans having a jolly time rather than getting bladdered. That said I wasn't a happy bunny at Wembley a few year's ago at the Challenge Cup final, being purposely showered with beer by some pissed up Warrington supporters every time that Warrington scored a try!

Does wine actually advertise alongside sport? I suspect spirits advertising only really goes with sports (if you can call them that) like snooker or darts.

And anyway at the fell running end of the spectrum, drinking a couple of pints after a day's escapade in the hills is quite possibly as near to nirvana as you can get in this life and many fell races actually benefit from friendly local brewery sponsorship

Oh and that's not me condoning the serial drinking and binging that happens in city centres of an evening or that, true of almost everyone I work with, them absolutely believing through and through that a 'good night out' requires you to get smashed out of your skull.

Does wine actually advertise alongside sport?
    http://www.lionsrugby.com/sponsors/index.php
    pies

I will be hoping to pick up a Timothy Taylor T shirt at the Midsummer Madness races

It's definitely an interesting question!

Looking a bit closer to home Patrick, are any of the current GAA sides sponsored by any drinks companies nowadays? I vaguely remember Antrim were sponsored by Bushmills and the Hurling championship was sponsored by Guinness up until a few years back until Etihad took over, but there may have been a crackdown along the lines you mentioned which I'm unaware of. It is going that way with football in this country so I expect Ireland may have already set the wheels in motion.

I can echo your sentiments about the way of life in rural Ireland. The small town my family hails from has no less than 11 pubs for a population of around 2,000 :w00t:

Rasher, The Tipperary Camogie (Womens Hurling) was sponsored by my local Pub/Hotel/Conference Centre/Gym (The Horse And Jockey Inn) for a very successful three year period. All of the celeberations were held in the.....

Should that type of sponsorship be also banned?

Five Live had a discussion about sport sponsorship this morning.

While on about the Horse And Jockey this is a good story (probably not true). A Sign painter done a new sign for the pub (Horse & Jockey) and the owner did not like it he said:

There is too much of a gap between Horse and & and & and Jockey.

It's a tough question undoubtedly. In the SPL, I noticed the "Tennents" logos are much less prominent than they used to be in years gone by. Counter that with say hurling or football at the grass-roots level. In some smaller towns and villages, the smaller clubs would probably fold without the sponsorship money to keep them going. But does it send out the wrong message? I guess it isn't a question with a definitive answer. I don't know if there is a conflict of interest there, but even in a hurling stronghold like Tipp, the camogie team would definitely suffer without that money. I suppose what I'm saying is that it's ok for your small, family run rural pub, but not if you're a massive multi-national brewing company?