Thread: Glen Rosa Cancelled??

Glen Rosa Cancelled??

https://www.facebook.com/scottishhillracing

Just seen the above.. very strange if true and very worrying.. any more details?

Re: Glen Rosa Calcelled??

That's absolutely ridiculous !! Who are the police to say whether a training exercise is "legitimate", these teams have been in existence for years and know what they can and can't do. Hope it's not a precedent, I'm doing Lairig Ghru in 2 weeks time which is supported by Cairngorm Mountain Rescue

Not sure if it works in Scotland like it does in England but the MR is effectively insured by the police. Maybe if the police don't see it as a legitimate training ex then they will withdraw cover. In which case the MR would have to pull out? Not saying this is the case but it's a possibility.

I thought... and IDP knows way more than me, that the insurance for MRT only kicks in when the police request their assistance ?
    Is this about SHR races not having insurance cover?
    Last edited by dominion; 14-06-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Worrying situation.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Not sure if it works in Scotland like it does in England but the MR is effectively insured by the police. Maybe if the police don't see it as a legitimate training ex then they will withdraw cover. In which case the MR would have to pull out? Not saying this is the case but it's a possibility.
    Actually this cropped up a few years ago in England & Wales, where it was stated (either by the Police or, more likely, by the MRC, as it was called then) that rescue teams were no longer insured for fell race cover. This was specifically a first aid issue, as, should a runner become lost or injured, it would become a genuine mountain incident, which would be covered once the police were informed.

I brought this up with the then General Secretary of the FRA, Mike Rose, and we looked at the FRA's insurance at that time, and found that this did cover all race helpers, including first aiders (except medical professionals, who have their own insurance). I'm pretty sure that this is still the case with the FRA, and I would have thought that would have applied in Scotland too.

The other approach is for the rescue team to actually have an exercise at the same time as the race, so that the team is mobilised and working with full radio cover on the hill at the same time as the race, with the rescue control accessible to the RO. When I was team leader of Kinder MRT, this is exactly what we used to do on the same day as the Kinder Trog - much more useful than sitting around waiting for something not to happen!
    Last edited by Alan; 15-06-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Actually this cropped up a few years ago in England & Wales, where it was stated (either by the Police or, more likely, by the MRC, as it was called then) that rescue teams were no longer insured for fell race cover. This was specifically a first aid issue, as, should a runner become lost or injured, it would become a genuine mountain incident, which would be covered once the police were informed.

I brought this up with the then General Secretary of the FRA, Mike Rose, and we looked at the FRA's insurance at that time, and found that this did cover all race helpers, including first aiders (except medical professionals, who have their own insurance). I'm pretty sure that this is still the case with the FRA, and I would have thought that would have applied in Scotland too.

The other approach is for the rescue team to actually have an exercise at the same time as the race, so that the team is mobilised and working with full radio cover on the hill at the same time as the race, with the rescue control accessible to the RO. When I was team leader of Kinder MRT, this is exactly what we used to do on the same day as the Kinder Trog - much more useful than sitting around waiting for something not to happen!
    This is what Woodhead do for the Trigger and the Mickledon, they become logistic and radio exercises. Although we have no "official" duties for the HPM we run a night ex up on Howden on race night...just in case..