Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Style and BG Club Membership

Re: Style and BG Club Membersh

This is just a very spurious argument to try and support the contention that the BG club should recognise solo rounds.
    The BG is a running challenge, not a climbing challenge.
    Cullins I think are fundamentally different and are a combination.
    Simon, I'm amused by the way you have translated Bob's reply that actually no-body knows definitively whether Bob Graham did Broad Stand top roaped or not into - "he did it solo".
    If we assume he did solo it then in 1938 you can bet he solo-ed good rock, not the polished rock we have now.
    BS is not difficult, but it is dangerously exposed should you slip - and slipping is more likely these days due to the polished rock.
    Top roping BS is about protection.
    Last edited by andy k; 19-06-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Dumb question but by 'top roping', which is presumably climbing jargon, we're just talking about roping that dodgy bit of Broad Stand (and we're not talking about roping both the top and the bottom )

Surely we're only talking about plus or minus 15 minutes here and a couple of hundred feet of climb. In my case this Saturday, we're planning to descend BS with a rope (undoubtedly in the wet) and I'm just hoping to survive and not 'lose' too much time going this way. Jesus the weather being good or bad can make an hour's difference on its own, wearing fell shoes rather than plimsoles will make for an advantage, using a gps will, heck even using a map and compass will. Its kind of a mute point if you ask me maikng such a big thing of what is such a small part of the round
    In 2011 I descended BS in wet conditions on an anti-clock. One of the supporters who dislikes exposure chose Foxes (much slower than WWT) and he stood waiting for 5 mins whilst we struggled down.
    I haven't read the latter parts of this thread but I ran my c/w BG route solo for 75% in 18.50. Very little organisation, little stress etc. A small number of people reminded me that I was "not official" and whilst I respect the BG club. Egos can spoil the party. I became "official" two years ago with an a/clock. Ironically, taking 18.51 with perhaps too much support. Broad Stand may save just 5 mins against WWT and perhaps 10 m on Foxes and in the context of a day out in the fells is so minute, that it is hardly worth mentioning.
    Besides STYLE should be measured in the amount of pleasure generated from the exercise.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by alf.t View Post
    Besides STYLE should be measured in the amount of pleasure generated from the exercise
    Absolutely. Which direction you go, a few inconsequential route choices, how many pals (if any) you choice to spend your day with etc are just 'background noise'. The question has to be, 'did you enjoy it?'
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Corniceman, I come from the South Lakes + my Dads ashes are on Coniston OM so the South Lakes extension including quite a bit of the Duddon Fell Race works for me personally. I would rather do a logical extension than a few extra lumps just to make up an arbitrary number - I am 52 next year - also 24 hours becomes less important when u go for an aesthetic line.... I think the Lakes probably holds one of the Ultimate Ultra mountain challenge - the 100 highest Wainwrights in a single push... Though doing all the Classic Rock Climbs in the Lakes in 24 hrs is also a Beast - I think only one person has done that, no top roping on that challenge of course;-) S

Super Moderator

100 highest Wainwrights looks a great quiz question for when you're suffering up Fairfield. The 24 hours thing is an interesting point. I'm 50 next year

Andy,

My argument is probably less spurious to a climber where solo is the purist of styles and top roping a rather dodgy practice.... But I have too much time on my hands at present and do need to stop faffing around on here with rather silly arguments. But my assumption is Bob G on his Round just slipped up the West Window or nipped round Foxes tarn rather than hailing for a handy top rope! However I think your argument that as the Cuillins are a mountain challenge this makes a solo rule more appropriate is the more spurious argument ;-) surely on a running challenge u should be running and not using ropes but on a mountain challenge ropes are fine? Fingers crossed i get gainfully employed on Friday. Cheers, S

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    This is just a very spurious argument to try and support the contention that the BG club should recognise solo rounds.
    The BG is a running challenge, not a climbing challenge.
    Cullins I think are fundamentally different and are a combination.
    Simon, I'm amused by the way you have translated Bob's reply that actually no-body knows definitively whether Bob Graham did Broad Stand top roaped or not into - "he did it solo".
    If we assume he did solo it then in 1938 you can bet he solo-ed good rock, not the polished rock we have now.
    BS is not difficult, but it is dangerously exposed should you slip - and slipping is more likely these days due to the polished rock.
    Top roping BS is about protection.

Alfie whilst enjoying life is of up most importance this is different to style... I like the quote "run if u can, walk if you have to crawl if u must - just never give up" whilst crawling is impressively tenacious it isnt good style or probably for that matter enjoyable. Happy days, S

DT, do u take the Coffa Pike route up Fairfield? I am a recent convert thinking it much more enjoyable than the screey thrash! Cheers, S

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by simon cox View Post
    DT, do u take the Coffa Pike route up Fairfield? I am a recent convert thinking it much more enjoyable than the screey thrash! Cheers, S
    I've only been the Cofa Pike way once with our mutual friend IanDarkpeak and it was dark and a pretty foul night. Must have another look at it. The screes aren't a lot of fun

DT, I did it a few weeks ago with the sun setting over Grisedale Tarn but with the sun "burning" in the water, no one else on the hill, totally awesome - Ian's write up of the line is pretty good - stick with the lower section, as soon as you hit the path breaking left it is bliss and take the final rocky nose direct to the summit... enjoy! S