Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running The Dales Way ?

Re: Running The Dales Way ?

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Jez, the inaugural record for the Dales Way was set in the early-mid 80's by Dennis Beresford, one of Clayton's hard men of that era; IIRC it was 13 hours and some. Someone else went faster, but I seem to recall that Dennis recaptured the record. I would need to go in the loft and dig out the old FRM's from that era ( yes, got them all neatly filed away, Feb '84 to the present ). Try googling the Clayton website, there might be some details. Look at the 2nd thread down on page 36 of this long distance challenges file. Ian.
    Cheers for that Ian. Rob, a slight confession here. Me & a club mate attempted it this weekend. Kept it under the radar in case it went belly up. And guess what ?
    Started off later than planned from Bowness on Saturday morning after 2 breakfasts, at 9.30 a.m. We had a plan to run the first day very steady to maximise our chances of feeling good on the 2nd day. The weather was quite windy with bouts of rain, but fine for running. The first few miles we found really slow going & fiddly, with great potential for going wrong & we did a number of times. But we stuck to our plan of walking whilst eating & anything that resembled a hill. It was only when we stopped for lunch along the River Lune, at around 20 miles, that we realised just how slow we had been going. We had a quick cheese sandwich in Dent, where the weather became truly awful (proper stair rods) & pressed on for The Station at Ribblehead where we were staying that night. Crawled in looking like drowned rats at 9 p.m, after a ridiculously slow 11.5 hours & 45 miles. We were pretty spent & having seen Sundays forecast decided to postpone our 2nd leg for a later date. Cue a few ales, a steak pie & chips. Eating breakfast the next day we realised we had made the right call as the weather was foul. Black skies, driving rain & wind. Besides, we were hobbling badly & very stiff. A shame, but we made the right call & had a good weekend. On a plus point, my new Ronhill Trail Tempest proved watertight all day unlike my clubmates Montane !

Re: Running The Dales Way ?

My mate has just e-mailed me his Garmin stats. We had 2.5 hours of "non movement" ! A mixture of map reading & eating breaks.

Was thinking about this tonight and how doing it in 2 days would be a nice weekend (weather depending!) I thought I'd better check the forum....and hey presto! Did you ever complete it Jez?

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    Was thinking about this tonight and how doing it in 2 days would be a nice weekend (weather depending!) I thought I'd better check the forum....and hey presto! Did you ever complete it Jez?
    Ha, no mate. Me & Ben still talk about "unfinished business". We will definitely complete it one day. When are you fancying it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Ha, no mate. Me & Ben still talk about "unfinished business". We will definitely complete it one day. When are you fancying it?
    We do! The main thing against us that time was weather: relentless rain. We could have done day two in the same rain but it would have been miserable, so we had a load of beers instead at the pub at ribbleshead where we were staying overnight. The mistakes we made on the day we're setting off too late in the morning (we waited for the shops to open so we could buy extra kit for the turn in the weather) and we took too many long breaks on the route. It just made it too long a day in constant rain.

I'd recommend doing it but set off early and have a plan for breakfast on day 2 so you don't have to wait for the b&b breakfast start time.

On a separate note, my mate John-Paul (keighley and craven AC) ran it in a oner in 2015 in about 18 hours if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    We do! The main thing against us that time was weather: relentless rain. We could have done day two in the same rain but it would have been miserable, so we had a load of beers instead at the pub at ribbleshead where we were staying overnight. The mistakes we made on the day we're setting off too late in the morning (we waited for the shops to open so we could buy extra kit for the turn in the weather) and we took too many long breaks on the route. It just made it too long a day in constant rain.

I'd recommend doing it but set off early and have a plan for breakfast on day 2 so you don't have to wait for the b&b breakfast start time.
    This summer surely?

It's a pipe dream just now as have to convince the wife to look after the kids for the weekend! But I will work on her... Doing it in one go might be beyond me! A friend of mine walked it and said it was a lovely route, although he had lovely sunshine the whole way.

in a oner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    This summer surely?

Super Moderator
    One of the problems with doing the DW Lakes to Wharfedale is the way markers are largely set up in the opposite direction. The familiar bits are well marked anyway but the 'tough middle bit' is surprisingly tricky. I've been saying for 12 years I'd like to do it in one hit but biggest attempt so far has been a steady walk Dent station to Addingham Friday evening to Sunday afternoon with a couple of overnight wild camps (and a highly memorable two hour snooze on the 'green' at Buckden
    Poacher turned game-keeper