Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting BG recce route.

alwaysinjured

Interesting BG recce route.

Just back from a BG reccie - makes a useful circuit, leg 3/4
    Glorious day, but hot yesterday.

Start seathwaite up grains gill to esk hause, then drop down to rosset taking in bowfell, or to shorten it join before great end.then round rest leg3' and all leg 4 to green gable.
    A mainly grassy descent from green gable of mile or so down to sour milk gill , a bit of a scramble, and the car.. Turns out honister is only a mile from seathwaite over a grassy plateau to sour milk, so can go all the way to honister this way although did not do that looks fine on the ground All of the rough stuff and the crux of the round in one reccie.

Planning a bigger one. Start rossthwaite up green upedge to high raise, ( roughly 3 mile) then most if leg 3 all 4. , 5 up to dalehead, then use the borrowdale rcae descent to get straight back to rossthwaite..and car At standard pace that is 10 hours. The useful aspect is that only an hour and a half is off the route, yet starts and finishes in the same place.

Food for thought?
    Makes a good day on the hills
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 20-06-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Re: Interesrting Bg recce rout

I did your first one recently (Seathwaite-EskHause-GreatEnd-RestOfLeg3-Leg4ToBrandreth-Seathwaite)
    - lovely day out, and a great way of practicing going in/out of Wasdale
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    I did your first one recently (Seathwaite-EskHause-GreatEnd-RestOfLeg3-Leg4ToBrandreth-Seathwaite)
    - lovely day out, and a great way of practicing going in/out of Wasdale
    I did the same route a few weeks back too.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

alwaysinjured

Nothing new I am sure.
    But despite recceing and supporting for over a decade- nearer 2 ! Like many I guess, I had a fixation that the Bg is made up of legs, so you reccied legs which gives transport problems. Only just managed to break out of the tramlined thinking!

It is on big days out like that in heat that that issues such as water become crucial, so am still convinced that for example the direct line fron yewbarrow before col, down grass towards red pike both allows water and I think is faster than dore head it is certainly shorter , runnable and the height loss is not a great deal. Also the value of going to the stream before aming for great end.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 20-06-2013 at 05:44 PM.

the first is one off my regular routes
    i also do circuit from wasdale starting with yewbarrow tops to great gable styhead tarn up to esk hause tops to scafell then back into wasdale shorter day but ideal for a pace session
    on second one i would probably extend it for a bit and probably go to hinscarth and robinson

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by vespa View Post
    the first is one off my regular routes
    i also do circuit from wasdale starting with yewbarrow tops to great gable styhead tarn up to esk hause tops to scafell then back into wasdale shorter day but ideal for a pace session
    on second one i would probably extend it for a bit and probably go to hinscarth and robinson
    So that day out of wasdale race proportions is just a fast sprint for vespa!

Chapeau! As they say in cycling.
    I hate to think what is a long day out if that is only a pace run!:
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 20-06-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Start rossthwaite up green upedge to high raise, ( roughly 3 mile) then most if leg 3 all 4. , 5 up to dalehead, then use the borrowdale rcae descent to get straight back to rossthwaite..and car At standard pace that is 10 hours.
    I did this precise route, starting at 4am on a chilly November day when training for my winter round. Took me 11 hours at a steady pace. I really enjoyed it and it did me the power of good. Dropping off Dale Head in the dark through those quarries whilst a bit knackered was entertaining. If you do it then I hope you enjoy it.

the last time i did the seathwaite route was on reccee with leeds flyer i had descended only to realise i had left ice axe at summit of scafell so had to go get it and descend again only to see they had ascended yewbarrow so had to catch them up this was after i had done seathwaite to esk hause in good time i could,nt fast sprint at moment

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    I did this precise route, starting at 4am on a chilly November day when training for my winter round. Took me 11 hours at a steady pace. I really enjoyed it and it did me the power of good. Dropping off Dale Head in the dark through those quarries whilst a bit knackered was entertaining. If you do it then I hope you enjoy it.
    Useful to know Mark, thanks.
    Out of curiosity , other than leg supports , how many "big days" (greater than say 6 hours) did you do in preparation for rounds?
    Was that just one big day of 11 hours? Or did you do several?
    PS - by that I meant 10 hours on route. Add 1.5 to and from rosthwaite to BG tops - so 11.5 total - which you beat.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 20-06-2013 at 11:34 PM.

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by vespa View Post
    the last time i did the seathwaite route was on reccee with leeds flyer i had descended only to realise i had left ice axe at summit of scafell so had to go get it and descend again only to see they had ascended yewbarrow so had to catch them up this was after i had done seathwaite to esk hause in good time i could,nt fast sprint at moment
    All I can say is **wow** - depending on how far you had come down scafell before doing an additional rep to get it and catch back up!

PS on this note. I am convinced that swinging well left of the edge then contour back all on runnable grass, is way better than going down or just before Rakeshead unless you are a mountain goat that runs down screes such as that. What are views on that?