Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well done

Well done

It's great having support in a race.
    But most of the time people just say well done!
    I personally would prefer to be insulted as this tends to fire you up.
    As in the race at Bull hill where the guy behind was called an old b'tard not only did it fire him up but it fired me up and made a good race down to the finish simply because i didnt want to get beat coming into the finish and it adds to the entertainment
    I think we need to get the message out to the marshalls and any spectators en route i have always found the odd insult works wonders when your flagging.

doe's anyone agree?

Re: Well done

not an insult, but I heard:

"Run faster than that!"

shouted out by a "supporter" at a recent race.

To the point, I thought.

When racing overseas I was told to die, die, die. I took this personally and ran my arse off ensuring that I didn't die. Only later in the day did I find out it meant go, go, go!!!!!
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flashrunner View Post
    I personally would prefer to be insulted as this tends to fire you up.
    As in the race at Bull hill where the guy behind was called an old b'tard not only did it fire him up but it fired me up and made a good race down to the finish simply because i didnt want to get beat coming into the finish and it adds to the entertainment
    I think we need to get the message out to the marshalls and any spectators en route i have always found the odd insult works wonders when your flagging.

doe's anyone agree?
    This is a joke isn’t it Flashrunner?
    If you start insulting people you could find you’re self with a clip round the ear hole.

We have a certain unwritten etiquette that is friendliness and politeness to people both competitors, marshal, organisers and spectators.

The last thing Mrs Stagger my Kids or I want to hear or see at a fell event is bad behaviour.

Flashrunner have you considered becoming a football supporter?

hay you could set up tables every mile or so, get some local hecklers, give them there fill of booze and let the insults fly. they could even throw stuff, why hold back flash.
    your shoes get so hot you wish your dam feet were fire proof

Chris

I went to watch the world cross country championships when thay were held in Durham in about 1996. The Kenyan Coach, (I think it was Josh Kimeto) was utterly manic shouting to his runners in Swahili as they ran past and looking a bit fat and about to burst a blood vessel. After a lap or two the Swahili didn't suffice any more and the Swahili didn't do it and breaking in to perfect English shouted to Richard Chelimo who was then in second place 'move your ****ing arse!'

It was a fantastic bit of coaching in action.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    After a lap or two the Swahili didn't suffice any more and the Swahili didn't do it and breaking in to perfect English shouted to Richard Chelimo who was then in second place 'move your ****ing arse!'

It was a fantastic bit of coaching in action.
    Coaching is fine Chris, but foul language in front of my family would be frowned upon.

There is a time and a place for such langauge and working in Engineering one must know where the line is.

Lets not get as bad as the rif raf that rome our streets.

Is this thread the thin end of the wedge?????????????

Chris

I've sent you a pm, Stagger. I don't like that sort of language either.

Sheffield Half Maraton 2006, coming down Eccy Road. A lovely young girl, probably about 6 years old shouted "come on, well done, you've not far to go now".

Lovely I thought. Sort of raised my faith in the young generation, etc.

Her mother interrupted the end of her sentiments with "don't be silly, shurrup. They've got miles and miles to go yet". Ta love.

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    not an insult, but I heard:

"Run faster than that!"

shouted out by a "supporter" at a recent race.

To the point, I thought.

like it

personally I have no confidence in my running - and rightly so because I am terrible at it, and to not come last in a race in an acheivement!

Yes an insult might spur me on a bit, but so does encouragement, and to be insulted would simply damage my already-low-running confidence!

Someone once said to me as I was struggling up a hill "you didn't have to enter" which I thought was well nasty and look - it still upsets me now!!!!