Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another newbie

Re: Yet another newbie

hi avit

its been awhile since i posted anything on here and just read your post, i got into fell running by fell walking, fell walking/hill walking uses the same muscles as running up the hills does, i'm based in whitehaven cumbria, i take it doncaster will have some hills ? try cycling, kettlercise , hill walking to build your stamina and leg strength, swimming is also excellent for some time out from the pounding of running but still gives you a fantastic workout.

if you are near hills try running up and down them, build up slowly to prevent injury. you will soon notice your fitness getting better, hill running always builds up stamina anyway

hope this helps, let me know how you get on, also if you ever come up to cumbria and want a run up here let me know, also check out the running groups in your area, i love running by myself but i also find group running keeps up the moral especially if the runs and hills are tough

GOOD LUCK !!!

CHARLOTTE

I'm back near doncaster now for a while (isle of axholme) and mostly race in the peak district. I would be tempted to join your nearest road club (if you haven't already) as most clubs have people who go to fell races fairly frequently. That way you can have people to train with in the week and go to races with, and you can always train/race in the peak district on the weekend if you like.

A quick internet search says askern http://www.askerndrc.org/ have fellrunners and there where a number of kimberworth folks at holme moss last weekend.

Hi Avit, and welcome. How do you find the Fivefingers in this weather - I'd have thought they'd be a bit sweaty! Have you ever tried running barefoot? I do it often on the moors - mainly moorland paths and tracks, it has to be said - and it's great. When the weather gets a bit colder, then it's on with the Vivobarefoots for a bit of insulation. I'm not a racer mind, just someone who likes to trot about in wide open spaces!
    I think if I was doing the long distance stuff again I'd have to put my shoes on, though...

Hi Avit welcome ,
    enjoy the freedom from roads and the hills :thumbup:
    I am moving back to the UK so will be able to run properly again !

Jake,
    http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.de/...fell%20running

well I go away for a week and every one forgets me.......shame on you all
    John I live 3 miles from Langsett and I know the area pretty well Once my busy period is over I'll be happy to take you for a wilder run in the area. I use 5 fingers occasionally but they are not for fell running as they have no grip on steep terrain

I'm planning on an organised wild run from near Langsett in a few weeks. check out my links below.