Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The usual issue...which shoe?

The usual issue...which shoe?

Newbie to the sport, tried it last year, injury kinda caught up, this year have entered two proper IMRA runs, including Carrauntoohil.

I hear so much about Walshs and Inov8s and getting a bit lost. At the moment just pottering around in Asics trail runners which seem fine, though never seem to see Asics pop up on many threads here. Plus I'm guessing that they are probably a little high on the heels, and as I want to stay with real open mountain running as opposed to forest trails, I understand this is less than ideal.

However, of course, money is a factor, and would like to get something that will be cheap while I ease my way further into the sport and see what suits, whether I need ankle support, wider foot or narrow etc. More Miles Cheviots and Adidas Kanadia seem to be about the cheapest, would anyone recommend them for a beginner?

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/A...running-shoes/

or

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=47910

Re: The usual issue...which sh

Fell shoes and trail shoes are just not the same. As you will know that decent off An Cahair on the Carrauntoohil race is a bit wet in places, full out fell shoes like Inov8 mudclaws are just designed for that type of terrain. I noticed that on the Galteemore race last summer a lot of guys were in trail shoes. I left them for dead on the very steep decents off Galteemore, Galtee Beag and Cush.

I am a very average decender, it was purly having the right shoes. I was wearing Invo8 272s
    The 272 are out of production now but this is what the studs are like
    Attachment 7069

Have a look on Google Products there is often deals going on. I tend to buy when the price is right rather than wait until I need them. I have a new pair in a box just waiting to be used.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 28-06-2013 at 11:25 AM.

I have kanadias for trail/grassy tracks and the occasional dry 'fell' run. for a full on fell run I use inov8 xtalon212s and where I need extra grip or its really muddy I use mudclaws (the yellow/grey ones). the kanadias don't cope with steep/muddy terrain. like DrPB I keep an eye on for deals and buy when cheap(er) than rrp.
    I do own a pair of walsh fell shoes but find them a bit too high on the heel and always feel really close to turning an ankle in them, hence they rarely get used.

I guess to answer your question I'd go for kanadias....having used them I'm happy with them, and I have generally heard better things about them than more miles. guess to some degree it will be which fits your foot best, which is most important!

+1 for the above. Kanadias are fine if it's not too muddy and steep, otherwise you may need to think about more "aggressive" options. Patrick seems to have some inside information on your course, this is definitely worth its weight in gold. He runs for a full on fell club as opposed to a dabbler like me so his advice on grippy shoes is worth taking.

I know money is an issue for many (including me), and in fairness I've run fell and XC in my Kanadias in summer / early autumn and they were great. My only advice is try to get the Kanadia 4s as opposed to the Kanadia 5s - they are much more aggressively soled and would be a much better option in bad conditions. For what it's worth, I can't fault my Walshes so far, they have done everything asked of them. Not tried Inov-8 yet but want to, at the last race I did they outnumbered Walshes by at least 10-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    He runs for a full on fell club
    That makes me sound good
    On Pennine's club runs on Thursday night when there would be 20ish people out. I reckon at least half would be in Inov8s.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 28-06-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Fell shoes and trail shoes are just not the same. As you will know that decent off An Cahair on the Carrauntoohil race is a bit wet in places, full out fell shoes like Inov8 mudclaws are just designed for that type of terrain. I noticed that on the Galteemore race last summer a lot of guys were in trail shoes. I left them for dead on the very steep decents off Galteemore, Galtee Beag and Cush.
    Felt good enough coming off Caher in my Asics, except on pure rock where the foot was a bit all over the place. Would I be right in saying though that there is nothing will grip to wet rocks and crags anyway? Was on Slievenamon last Sunday and hauled in a good few on the descent, but that was a dry grassy/turf bank beside the track and it felt very grippy and comfortable. Guess it's a bit like cycling - you cannot grow up in Kerry and not have spent half the childhood hurtling down some slope or other!

Think I might go with what you say and keep an eye out for cheap Inov8s and for the moment get by on the Asics or maybe go for the Kanadia 4s - judging by Cyclops and Rasher's comments they'll have their own uses too and they won't go to waste, plus guess the chance of sales increase as the year moves on and the general enthusiasm amongst the public wears off!

I have about six different pairs on the go. Each pair have their strenght and weakness. I pick the appropriate pair for the conditions I will expect.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 28-06-2013 at 01:18 PM.

I have both Kanadias and Cheviots. Like them both. The Cheviots definitely have more grip on serious fell terrain but there may be an issue of durability. Mine are fine (but only done 80 miles in them) but others say they don't last so it's false economy.

Banned

Walsh is a good all-round shoe.
    PLUS
    You can get them resoled when required.