Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The usual issue...which shoe?

Re: The usual issue...which sh

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Walsh is a good all-round shoe.
    PLUS
    You can get them resoled when required.
    Loads of people say that but my walsh's always shredded on the uppers too, making replacing the soles pretty pointless. Not a great photo as the pair on the left don't look too bad (they were) but my last two pairs of walsh's on their death bed:

Banned

Arr but I always attempt to rinse or swill them after a run or race.

Maybe its your after care that causes the uppers not be at their best.

Do I take it that Inov8 Roclite model is more a trail shoe than classic open mountain running? Have seen them on sale in a few places.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
    Do I take it that Inov8 Roclite model is more a trail shoe than classic open mountain running? Have seen them on sale in a few places.
    Yep the inov8 300 is their main fell shoe.

I've kinda gone off the Kanadia, on the basis of more reviews around the place the More Miles Cheviot seems to be the poor man's Mudclaw and see a couple of posts from people who wear them training to preserve the Inov8s. Can pick them up from £24 so think I'll get them, again until the price of Mudclaws comes down, which I trust it will after the summer. And at £24, even if I hate them, it's not like shelling out £100 and finding out I hate them after a couple of runs.

Hey, I'm a beginner looking for a new fell running shoes. Before I have been using Salomon XA pro 3d ultra gtx. I liked them but I hated how easily the rubber sole wes destroyed by sharp rocks. That's the reason I'm thinking about trying Inov-8. I don't need a light competition shoe because I only run for myself. Also, looks like my Achilles hates too flat shoes.
    Which one would you suggest? I'm thinking about Inov-8 Roclite 275 gtx. What do you think?
    Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Kaja2737; 28-07-2013 at 04:09 PM.

What type of surface will you mainly be running on ? If trail then one of the Roclite range is a good choice, but if more mud then a more aggressive sole like the Mudclaw will give you a better grip. Most runners do not go for a goretex lined shoe as if you step in a puddle/bog and water gets in then it can't escape, better to go for a non-goretex shoe and the water can easily drain out the mesh upper.

Thanks, Yaks. I would like to run on all types; trails, mud, rocks, etc.
    I can't find Mudclaw with 9 mm (or more) drop... I'm not sure my achilles is willing to try 6 mm

Do do not want a large drop on a fell shoe as a low heel give much more stability on rough ground. Your ankles would talk a hammering with a higher drop.

There are a few excellent runners out there racing internationally in Salomon Speedcross, they have an 11mm drop and are beautifully cushioned..they suit me down to the ground as it were (novice, back of the pack, with a preference to just going out for a run in the hills type person) If you want a shoe that has the same heel height but 'feels' lower then go for a La Sportiva Crosslite, they are my second choice shoe..I have done short and long distances in both shoes. If you need cushioning then you need cushioning, that's all there is to it. I had some mudclaws and my ankles just couldn't handle them stability-wise..Inov-8 are not for me..although Walsh and Inov-8 are synonymous with off road running they are not the be all and end all of choice..it's what is comfortable for you. Look for tread and comfort and simply enjoy yourself when you get out there..