Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The usual issue...which shoe?

Re: The usual issue...which sh

INOV8 Mudclaw 300s have been the best fell shoes I've ever had (the ones pictured above in DrPatrickBarry's post). They were comfortable from the first 6 mile outing and I didn't have any issues when I next wore them on the 42mile High Peak Marathon! They are so grippy and I've worn them on all sorts of felly terrain (boggy, rocky, grassy etc). If I could wear them on all my runs I would but for hard trail and long distance (anything over 25miles) I use Roclite 315s because they have more cushion and are kinder to my feet on hard surfaces. I'm on my third pair but have had an issue with my most recent pair (new colours but old style). They seem to be a slightly different fit and they gave me blisters on the first day of my 140 mile Cornish Coast Path run which was a bit annoying to say the least. I have just resurrected an old pair to run the Lakeland 50 in (didn't want to risk it in new shoes). It was like putting on comfy slippers My feet felt fine all the way through and I haven't had any problems since the race. I'm now going to try on different roclites in 6.5s and 7s until I find a pair that fit perfectly and that I can trust as they aren't making the old style one now.

Having said that, you have to find what works for you because we're all different!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

You could get away with them on a lot of fell runs, they are quite grippy and excellent on rock (funnily enough ). Just not so good if its really slippy and muddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
    Do I take it that Inov8 Roclite model is more a trail shoe than classic open mountain running? Have seen them on sale in a few places.

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    You could get away with them on a lot of fell runs, they are quite grippy and excellent on rock (funnily enough ). Just not so good if its really slippy and muddy.
    With the smaller Irish population and smaller walking community, Irish mountains are a bit more like the highlands in that foot paths are far and few between - very unlike the lakes. Grippy fell shoes would be required more often.

Sounds like a good place for running and good place for mudclaws
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    With the smaller Irish population and smaller walking community, Irish mountains are a bit more like the highlands in that foot paths are far and few between - very unlike the lakes. Grippy fell shoes would be required more often.

I have finally decided to buy TRAILROC 246 for fell running and TERRAFLY 277 for a combination of roads and off roads. I am looking for the cheapest price.. Is there anything cheaper than this http://www.upandrunning.co.uk (£93.50 for Trailroc and £85.00 for Terrafly)? Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Kaja2737; 06-08-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Banned

Email http://www.sportsshoes.com and tell them you are looking to by 2 pairs and that your are a runner.

Ask them what's the best deal they can do.

We always get 10 to 25% off and some times more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaja2737 View Post
    I have finally decided to buy TRAILROC 246 for fell running and TERRAFLY 277 for a combination of roads and off roads. I am looking for the cheapest price.. Is there anything cheaper than this http://www.upandrunning.co.uk (£93.50 for Trailroc and £85.00 for Terrafly)? Thanks a lot.
    If youré looking for the cheapest price dont buy these shoes, so many good shoes out there for half that price, especially if you like trail running

Thank you, both.

For an all round starter shoe, you can't fault More Mile Cheviot Mk 2's. Buy 2 pairs and rotate them making sure uppers are kept clean in order to prolong life. Grip and comfort are in the over £100 bracket!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I ended up buying 2 pairs. Got Kanadias for trails, just €37 and have to say I like them. Got Walsh second hand on EBay for €30, they're in great nick but a bit tight, but should be grand on the shorter mountain runs. Haven't tested them yet.