Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Age 40, any good news?

Re: Age 40, any good news?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Happy Birthday H. Looking forward to a beer (and a swim?) after Wasdale on Saturday.
    Excellent.. it's a matter of public record that skinny dipping in Wastwater after the race is compulsory. Fit male athletes will be given VIP entry to the party. Old duffers welcome too (that's you Geoff)

Clearly I was too old a duffer to be invited two years ago!!!?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Oh!! And Happy Birthday Longdogs!! Love the new dogs name btw!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    Happy birthday to me. I'm going for a long dog walk, bike ride, out for lunch, shopping, dinner with mates.. bring it on. Only 3 sleeps til my new dog!! I'm going to call him Ceathrad, the gaelic for forty. It sounds phonetically similar to Chester so it should be an easy change.. Have already ordered him a new collar and bungee running lead My transformation to the mad old dog lady of Tod is now complete. Hurrah!

Lovely name, what is a bungee running lead? I have a Springer Spangle and when she is old enough she is going to run with me, that bungee sounds intriguing...

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    Lovely name, what is a bungee running lead? I have a Springer Spangle and when she is old enough she is going to run with me, that bungee sounds intriguing...
    We use one of these. Merlin's only half a Springer, but just as mad as if he were 100%. Half springer, half poodle, half haddock I think, judging by how he's in any water going.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    We use one of these. Merlin's only half a Springer, but just as mad as if he were 100%. Half springer, half poodle, half haddock I think, judging by how he's in any water going.
    That's exact same i bought.. are they any good..?

Fairyfeet.. it's like a hands free lead attached to your belt, normal length but stretches to 3-4m ish (i think), so dog can run around you/wee/sniff without you breaking your stride and also not getting lead constantly stuck under an armpit.. that's the idea. I've never tried one before though.

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Clearly I was too old a duffer to be invited two years ago!!!?
    What happened 2 years ago? I'm so old now i've lost my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    That's exact same i bought.. are they any good..?
    It works for us. Merlin runs ahead & I've got both hands free. He's clever enough to keep going ahead rather than try roaming from side to side, & because he's young & bouncy he doesn't hang around behind me which might not work as well. The lead's long enough for him not to be under my feet when I'm running. We mostly use it when there are sheep about - we've run a fair bit across rough moorland. No sort of lead will save you from being pulled off-balance running down steep stuff though!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    It works for us. Merlin runs ahead & I've got both hands free. He's clever enough to keep going ahead rather than try roaming from side to side, & because he's young & bouncy he doesn't hang around behind me which might not work as well. The lead's long enough for him not to be under my feet when I'm running. We mostly use it when there are sheep about - we've run a fair bit across rough moorland. No sort of lead will save you from being pulled off-balance running down steep stuff though!
    Sounds good, can't wait to try it anyway. Hoping my new boy will be young and keen. I've done 2y without a dog to run with and really missed it. Hope he will be off lead most of the time but daren't take chances with a lurcher round sheep. I'm interested to see what kind of traits he will have, he's greyhound x poodle x wheaten terrier! He was bred for working but his first owner started him far too young then beat him because he couldn't jump fences well enough.. genius . So sold him to someone else who then handed him over to be rehomed. The rehoming place in his area was full but luckily someone who works there took him home to foster and that's who has him now.

Still going ok for an oldie? Bonus points for anyone who can guess what she was saying??