Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Suunto Ambit 2

The Suunto Ambit 2

My extraordinarily long winded review here

Re: The Suunto Ambit 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    My extraordinarily long winded review here
    interesting but I think the Garmin 310 is better and if you remember i was trying to tell you last year we were setting off in the wrong direction off one of the Dodds as I had the track log on the watch from previous attempt when Mark did his excellent navigating in the clag. The virtual partner is very useful as i can download the course from doing a race previously and know the next time I am doing it if I am ahead or behind my last attempt. and unbelievably it is recording the current course as well so Garmins can do more than one thing at once.
    the 310 lets you set up several bits of data on each screen and i dont think I would want to go more than 4 bits as they would start getting a bit small. and you can set up several screens. you can also have different run modes so you have certain data showing for road runs and certain data showing for fell races etc. and it has swimming and cycling settings.
    I have found the british grid on the 310 to be spot on and its great navigation aid in poor visibilty. and i have never had any problems with the battery and it has still being going strong 2o hours on
    the 310 also pairs with the Tanita body scales that give you several readings such as weight and muscle & bone mass, hydration levels etc.
    the stats on garmin connect are excellent
    I am worried that Garmin found a winner with the 310 but just hope they dont supercede it with anything not as good
    the Suunto sounds good but I would not consider anything else above the 310.
    big test will be the lakeland 50 coming up

Re: The Suunto Ambit 2

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    interesting but I think the Garmin 310 is better and if you remember i was trying to tell you last year we were setting off in the wrong direction off one of the Dodds as I had the track log on the watch from previous attempt when Mark did his excellent navigating in the clag. The virtual partner is very useful as i can download the course from doing a race previously and know the next time I am doing it if I am ahead or behind my last attempt. and unbelievably it is recording the current course as well so Garmins can do more than one thing at once.
    the 310 lets you set up several bits of data on each screen and i dont think I would want to go more than 4 bits as they would start getting a bit small. and you can set up several screens. you can also have different run modes so you have certain data showing for road runs and certain data showing for fell races etc. and it has swimming and cycling settings.
    I have found the british grid on the 310 to be spot on and its great navigation aid in poor visibilty. and i have never had any problems with the battery and it has still being going strong 2o hours on
    the 310 also pairs with the Tanita body scales that give you several readings such as weight and muscle & bone mass, hydration levels etc.
    the stats on garmin connect are excellent
    I am worried that Garmin found a winner with the 310 but just hope they dont supercede it with anything not as good
    the Suunto sounds good but I would not consider anything else above the 310.
    big test will be the lakeland 50 coming up
    I think the 305/310s were the best watches Garmin made both for ease of operation plus all the different functionality you got with them. When my much used/abused 305 finally gave up the ghost after many years of use I replaced it with another second hand 305 in excellent condition for half the price of later watches. The bezel introduction was and still is a step back in ease of use and the removal of functionality (courses) in the post 4xx series was just greedy so Garmin could sell a walker's watch with that function on it.:thunbdown:

Nice review, I was lucky enough to get one for my birthday and you can find my 10 cents about it here (also rather long winded! )

New firmware due out tomorrow (23rd):

http://www.suunto.com/News/Suunto-la...-and-Ambit2-R/

Thanks for the heads-up, will be interesting to see how good the cadence feature is and the strava compatibility will be a BIG plus

Really getting sold on this. Exactly how does the nav screens look whilst running? (I haven't done an extensive look online to find out, just being lazy). How easy is it to grab a look at speed and check your position relevant to the track you're following whilst not falling over?
    Surely this is the last hill, right...

Quote Originally Posted by John Peel View Post
    Really getting sold on this. Exactly how does the nav screens look whilst running? (I haven't done an extensive look online to find out, just being lazy). How easy is it to grab a look at speed and check your position relevant to the track you're following whilst not falling over?
    Check out my blog review which has a couple of pictures. Basically though in nav mode where you are following a gps track you have three basic views - a view of the whole track and where you are on it (I never use this), a zoomed in view of the track with something like 0.25 of a mile in view (I use this 95% of the time) and a distance from next POI view if you're targetting a particular point or have added points of interest (like peaks) to a gps track. You can also find your position as either lat and long co-ordinates or reset them to British National Grid which will give you a pinpoint grid reference of your position. There's also a return to start navigation mode which is great fun to try and it just gives you the direction and distance to go.... regardless of the terrain you have to go through

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Check out my blog review which has a couple of pictures. Basically though in nav mode where you are following a gps track you have three basic views - a view of the whole track and where you are on it (I never use this), a zoomed in view of the track with something like 0.25 of a mile in view (I use this 95% of the time) and a distance from next POI view if you're targetting a particular point or have added points of interest (like peaks) to a gps track. You can also find your position as either lat and long co-ordinates or reset them to British National Grid which will give you a pinpoint grid reference of your position. There's also a return to start navigation mode which is great fun to try and it just gives you the direction and distance to go.... regardless of the terrain you have to go through
    Roll on my birthday!
    Surely this is the last hill, right...

Guys, I'm liking the sound of these one further question though. To save me lugging a laptop on holiday, have you found a way to upload your runs from your watch without a laptop? either via a phone or tablet?
    I see they use USB over ant for data transfer, a vast set forward for common sense and usability.
    Can you just mount the watch as USB storage and browse to the .gpx or .FIT and manually upload that?