Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food on the go.

Food on the go.

Hi all,
    I hope ( weather permitting ) to run the welsh 3000 in a couple weeks and I'm struggling a little with what food to take. I can't do gels and energy bars as after a while they make me feel sick.
    The girlfriend has promised to make me a low sugar banana flapjack but any ideas on what other foods I could take and any general welsh 3000 tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Re: Food on the go.

They'll be lots of advice all over the forum but I'd check out some of the Bob Graham Round threads because there are plenty of discussions about food that can be stomached over a long distance. Personally I have discovered a liking for buttered slices of fruit loaf thanks to my friend Gavin giving me some when we were reccying the BGR and a lot of people swear by those small pots of rice pudding. Stolly seems to like bags of little boiled new potatoes. I'm with you, gels are revolting and I've only used them when desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthead View Post
    Hi all,
    I hope ( weather permitting ) to run the welsh 3000 in a couple weeks and I'm struggling a little with what food to take. I can't do gels and energy bars as after a while they make me feel sick.
    The girlfriend has promised to make me a low sugar banana flapjack but any ideas on what other foods I could take and any general welsh 3000 tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Pizza and rice pudding - together or separately - all the same once it's inside you!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

After years of struggling with stomach problems on long runs I now just eat Kendal Mint Cake: 3 squares every 45 minutes. It may not work for you, but it's worth trying. It got me round the 3000s this year, & the BG last year.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

I support the baby New Potato idea; boiled with a little fresh mint, pop them in a plastic ziploc with some salt and ground pepper, can't be beaten. Slow release energy and no sickly after taste.

Lemon Curd bread rolls.

*all home made off course. I like a 50/50 dough mix of Rye and White flour.
    pies

Sultanas and/or ready-to-eat apricots. Fig rolls. Though fig rolls can be tricky with a dry mouth!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthead View Post
    Hi all,

Cheers.
    You should really have some idea of what you can eat by now, presuming you have had some long days out in the hills training for the 3000's - what did you eat then? If you haven't had any long runs and are not used to eating on the move, whatever advice we give is pretty useless. Only you and your stomach will know what you can and cannot consume during a long day out. It's all part of the preparation.

As a guide, make sure you have some savoury, even packs of crisps may help (good salt content) and the weather can be a factor.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Homemade, buckwheat pancakes, rolled up with almond butter spread on them. Beautiful. Plus make your own trail mix. I throw together: golden berries, mulberries, almonds, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts & raw cacao nibs. But, whatever works for you. I'm definitely against gels & "synthetic" energy food. As natural as possible for me.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    After years of struggling with stomach problems on long runs I now just eat Kendal Mint Cake: 3 squares every 45 minutes. It may not work for you, but it's worth trying. It got me round the 3000s this year, & the BG last year.
    Can I vote for Kendal Mintcake? Love it anyway, but tried it "in anger" at Wasdale yesterday - very easy to eat, gentle on the stomach, somehow not too sweet - and peppermint is known as a stomach settler. And inexpensive.