Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Salomon Fellraiser

I've just bought a second pair from Sportshoes for just £64! Big discount plus a 15% off code.

I went a half size down as those size 11 which felt spot on in the shop are a little too clown shoe when actually running.

Anyone know what these are like on wet rock? seems to be one thing that Salomon frequently seem to get wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by richsund View Post
    Anyone know what these are like on wet rock? seems to be one thing that Salomon frequently seem to get wrong...
    They're great on sandstone, not tried limestone yet - they seem to hold better than the speedcross - I love these shoes. I have the same problem with inov8 (265), they feel like my feet have been slapped if there's a fast path section to the point I have to slow down. The fallraisers have just enough under the foot to prevent this for me.

Rob.

So how do these compare with the speedcross and how does the grip compare with mudclaws?

Fellraiser is both lower to the ground and a lower heel to forefoot drop than the Speedcross :-

Fellraiser : Heel 21mm, Forefoot 15mm, so 6mm drop
    Speedcross : Heel 29mm, Forefoot 18mm, so 11mm drop

Fellraiser upper is a more open weave than Speedcross so should drain quicker.

The grip on the Fellraiser looks slightly more aggressive than the Speedcross, but not as aggressive as the Mudclaw.

The above is just from looking at them in a shop and finding the stats online, I don't actually own a pair, so I won't comment on actual grip !

Wore mine at Three Shires. Lethal on rocky bits, ended up on my backside on many occasions. On muddy descents they were OK but I regretted not wearing my mudclaws (not that these would have been much better on wet rock).

Quote Originally Posted by Yaks View Post
    Fellraiser is both lower to the ground and a lower heel to forefoot drop than the Speedcross :-

Fellraiser : Heel 21mm, Forefoot 15mm, so 6mm drop
    Speedcross : Heel 29mm, Forefoot 18mm, so 11mm drop

Fellraiser upper is a more open weave than Speedcross so should drain quicker.

The grip on the Fellraiser looks slightly more aggressive than the Speedcross, but not as aggressive as the Mudclaw.

The above is just from looking at them in a shop and finding the stats online, I don't actually own a pair, so I won't comment on actual grip !
    Thanks for that, I'll stick with the mudclaws for the rough stuff then.

I've found them 'reasonable' on wet rock. Better than mudclaws but not as good as say roclite 315's. Had another run out today in them and still enjoying. Did a few river crossings and they were fine also.
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

I've had over a month out of mine now, the verdict is: super comfy but don't take them anywhere near wet rocks - a good shoe for recovering from the weekend or a long slow day out. The grip is fine on dry grass but they're not in the mud claw league on wet stuff and feel probably wider and higher profile than Inov8s. The laces don't go that tight so my shoe has nearly been sucked off in a few bogs, they also tend to fall out of their little pocket on the tongue after a while or get dragged out by heather. They let the water in and out a bit quicker than Inov8s with the bigger mesh, but take ages to dry. They're still looking shiny and new after some long days out and significant peat. Size 42.5 is shorter than an Inov8 42.5.

Thumbs down

typical salomon shoes. nice and comfortable until you try to run in them. way to clumpy and inflexible. Jogged back down from marshalling the half trog in them yesterday, and nearly turned my ankle several times. decided it was safer just to walk back after about 1km. and grip is not great either. another pair of walking shoes for me.