Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham barefoot?

Re: Bob Graham barefoot?

But they weren't running on tarmac...

The standard fell shoe is pretty much a minimal shoe.. your walsh etc...

Yes. Colin is still a very active (racing) Keswick AC member. You should be able to contact him via the club. He used to live around Penrith area.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekeswick View Post
    Who is this scratch? Is he/she actually a dog.....
    My dog is also pretty darn good without shoes....in fact i've learnt an awful lot from her. I like the way dogs always run light and always take a great line over rough ground.
    Is Colin Valentine still around? Does anybody know how to contact him?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

If we needed shoes with heels in them they would have been 'invented' a long
    Two things, as IainR points out. Tarmac as a widespread form of path/road is a very recent event. Sure, the Romans etc liked to build a road. But nothing like the saturation levels we see today.

Secondly, shoe technology has only really developed enough relatively recently to allow cushioned shoes to exist in the first place. Certainly in any practical sense.

Basically, cushioned shoes are a man made solution to a man made creation. Roads haven't existed long enough for us to evolve to use them to excess without consequences. Running 50+ miles a week on pan flat Tarmac is not normal in the grand scheme of things. And it's Tarmac where big wedges of cushioning get used. Mostly.

Most of us use minimalist shoes of some description already. As they are the appropriate style of shoe for the task at hand. Mostly.

Barefoot running may well provide the solutions too all running woes, but I've yet to see much in the way of conclusive evidence for this from multiple studies carried out by different groups at a serious scientific level.

Liebermans work is interesting, but we need others to take it further to concur or contradict.

On which note, are there any? I know Lieberman was doing another study, but have others done any work?
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    But they weren't running on tarmac...

The standard fell shoe is pretty much a minimal shoe.. your walsh etc...
    I completely understand where you are coming from, it's exactly what I thought before I read this book.
    The Barefoot running - step by step book covers all of this.
    I'll try and condense some of his thinking!
    Any type of shoe, however minimalist is going to stop your foot getting the full feedback (pain!) from the ground. He sees any pain as your bodys way of letting you know that you are doing something that is ultimately going to damage you if you keep doing it. So pain from your feet should be seen as your 'earlywarning system'. Putting anything between your sole and the ground is clearly going to stop your nerves from feeling and telling you everything that is going on.
    He goes through all the biomechanics of a 'correct' footfall and lift, the use of the knees more than you might think, the way the foot works if you land on the ball with the toes raised then let the toes and heel come down too - basically using the arch correctly and the whole surface of the foot to spread the load so that when you are running correctly it's possible to have zero skin .friction when contacting the ground. No friction = no blisters or worn away skin even when running on rough gravel/tarmac/ whatever. One of the asides in the book is how an accomplished barefoot runner ran a road marathon in just normal socks and they still looked like new at the end.

[QUOTE=shaunaneto;552799]Two things, as IainR points out. Tarmac as a widespread form of path/road is a very recent event. Sure, the Romans etc liked to build a road. But nothing like the saturation levels we see today.

The Roman shoes were flat leather soles with no cushioning. They walked some fair old distances....

As for further research I personally don't know of any. However for £15 you can get this book. As you'll find out when you read it he has been researching this all his life and it's not just one guy spouting off, there are many different contributors. I can't see how after reading it any runner could just dismiss it all. Not that i'm saying you are mind!
    On a mildly sceptical note all those multi national shoe companies have a lot invested in what they sell....remember that studies no matter how 'clinically scientific' have to be funded from somewhere....also anybody who has studied statistics will know that they are can be used to 'prove' anything!!

Great Gable to Green Gable - you'll definitely get some 'pain' feedback

The Roman shoes were flat leather soles with no cushioning. They walked some fair old distances....
    Did they do those distances on pan flat Tarmac?

David Icke has also written some books.

could just dismiss it all
    I'm not dismissing it.
    pies

What time was his marathon?

Super Moderator

Barefoot Bob would be fine. What I don't fancy is a Barefoot Lakeland 100 :w00t:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    What time was his marathon?
    Probably not the guy he is on about but very very impressive.

The fastest marathon run in bare feet is 2 hr 15 min 16.2 sec by Abebe Bikila (Ethiopia) at the 1960 Olympic Games in Rome, Italy, on 10 September 1960.

Interesting article on the history of barefoot running.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/barefoot...ng?page=single
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 05-08-2013 at 01:03 PM.