Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up!

Giving up!

Does anyone else ever get to the point of thinking giving up all this running?

During a nightmare run round Kentmere yesterday, I thought why am I doing this, I was struggling and hating it. This running costs me a fourtune in running gear and physio, so why bother?

I know I'll get over it.

Re: Giving up!

what else would you do?????

Perhaps its just the racing you don't enjoy????

Sit on the sofa and eat crisps and drink beer!

I normally enjoy racing, but yesterday I hated it and it made me think about what I was doing.

Calf may be right about the racing....

I have been forced to stop racing for a few months due to injury and am enjoying the running I am doing more than ever. I spent a day around the Wasdale fells on Saturday, took my time, enjoyed the views and had a fantastic day out - seven and a half hours to be precise. The alternative would have been to race Wasdale in say, five and a half, end up feeling knackered, not particularly pleased with my performance and unable to move for a few days...

As it is I feel pleasantly tired but really invigorated looking forward to the next day out in the hills.

I wouldn't dismiss racing completely but sometimes the mental stress of racing adds to the physical stresses of all the training, injuries etc. and can sometimes be counter productive.

Mh

Er I felt like this yesterday adrian too. YOu'll be ok....what would life be like without getting pissed on navigation courses and having a good old gossip on club nights.... you know you love it!

Borrowdale then?!

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Does anyone else ever get to the point of thinking giving up all this running?

During a nightmare run round Kentmere yesterday, I thought why am I doing this, I was struggling and hating it. This running costs me a fourtune in running gear and physio, so why bother?

I know I'll get over it.
    After a total of almost 5 years out of the last 7 sidelined by illness and injury, ruptured ligaments, stripped cartilage, a period of intermittent collapsing - you realise - you do it not for the fell racing, not for the fell running, but just because of a love of being on the hills.

Solution? - easy: stuff fell racing for a period, and trying to run at other peoples pace: just go for a long plod round the fell routes at your own pace - go do a couple of LDWAs - zero pressure fun.

For one thing, you find a few shortcuts, to use for next time you never knew were there!

Course you will get over it Hopey. But it sounds like you need a proper rest. Cut out competition for a while. maybe even running too. Just go for walks in the hills. The body is an amazing healing machine but it needs time. I've been where you are. I've also had a back injury that made me feel I would never run again. 18 months later and I'm flying.
    Give yourself some space and time. Running should NEVER be stressful.
    Bon chance!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I think I'll just stay away from racing for a while, maybe you are right, try and get back to enjoying it

I don't think Borrowdale would be a good idea

Yep. Sometimes get this . know what you mean. Usually down to overtraining creeping up and biting yer ass. Like others have said , have a bit of time of week or so, easy runs, no racing, you'll race when you really want to.

The thing is I've cut the miles right back for te past 2 weeks, 18 miles last week and 16 the week before, due to niggles.

I just need to find the fun side of it again I think.