Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: UTMB (etc) 2013

Re: UTMB (etc) 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Fantastic result Tom, am I reading it right that you were 5th in your category and 154th overall? Brilliant effort :thumbup:

Considering how few brits started we put in a good showing. I am a youngster in V2 and could have done better if I had got nutrition right, but not having support crew made that impossible.

Got back home yesterday evening after completeing the UTMB in 45 hours dead. Besides lack of sleep I was surprisingly unscathed. Trying to keep my eyes open in work today is not easy though.

What a stupendous event with amazing support. Running through the town at the finish with the crowds shouting 'Bravo', 'Allez', made it feel like I had won the race. My aim was to finish which I am delighted to have done and can wear the gillet with pride. Being at the older end of the age spectrum probably means that this will be my last big ultra, but what an event on which to finish.

DB

Good effort and good time, tom! Your 31:19 got you 5th V2H and my 42:02 got me 128th V2H! That is the toughest thing I have ever done. I never imagined I could crawl at such a slow pace yet still remain in the race. The climbs and descents are mental. The last climb from Vallorcine is the most extreme in steepness. I found myself toppling backwards many times. Good job I saved myself otherwise no more BritNick. The two beers at the finish buffet never tasted so good. Thanks Tussockface and everyone for rooting for us. :thumbup:

I took a ton of pictures. I'll get them uploaded in due course. What an awesome experience. I might pass on Bullock Smithy Hike this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Good effort and good time, tom! Your 31:19 got you 5th V2H and my 42:02 got me 128th V2H! That is the toughest thing I have ever done. I never imagined I could crawl at such a slow pace yet still remain in the race. The climbs and descents are mental. The last climb from Vallorcine is the most extreme in steepness. I found myself toppling backwards many times. Good job I saved myself otherwise no more BritNick. The two beers at the finish buffet never tasted so good. Thanks Tussockface and everyone for rooting for us. :thumbup:

I took a ton of pictures. I'll get them uploaded in due course. What an awesome experience. I might pass on Bullock Smithy Hike this weekend.
    Your 18th 100 miler?! I have just completed two and feel that is enough!

Stupidly tough.. good way of describing it.. I remember getting to Col du Montets? and then having that 3000ft or so climb up.. and just being so angry with the organiser for making me do it.. I was in a foul mood.. then suddenly I said to myself 'well drop out.. noone's making you do this'... then I started enjoying it again... the last 10 hours were so intense I felt like any moment I could have horrifically blown up. I finished and was sat in a gutter vomitting away..

Good write up by Mike here!

http://utmb-smithy.blogspot.co.uk/

That's a brilliant write-up Mike. It brought it all flooding back. We finished almost together in the end. Thanks Tom for the heads up.

UTMB on Eurosport now

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    UTMB on Eurosport now
    Repeated at 3.00pm and World Trail Running Champs on Eurosport again 2.30pm tomorrow

Very belated 'War and Peace' job just uploaded here.

Pictures are linked within it but direct link is here.

Two recovery days spent up l'Aiguille du Midi and Montenvers and the Mer de Glace.

That weather surely can't be beaten.