Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broad Stand

Broad Stand

Hi everyone,

I know there is much discussion regarding Broad Stand. I personally, think that it is the quickest route between Scafell Pike and Scafell, if you are confident at scrambling/climbing and in good, dry conditions. If you haven't seen this video on youtube it shows a pair of walkers ascending BS without ropes.

http://youtu.be/PlgcOmW80ig

If you skip to 5m44s in the video this is where they approach BS.
    Last edited by mtbfell; 27-08-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: rogue word
    Lonsdale Fell Runners

Re: Broad Stand

This video looks like a first person game :w00t:

I wouldn't mind giving it a go if I know where Broad Stand actually is. Last time when I was there on my own what I thought BS was, actually wasn't

Master

Pity about the littering.

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Khan View Post
    This video looks like a first person game :w00t:

I wouldn't mind giving it a go if I know where Broad Stand actually is. Last time when I was there on my own what I thought BS was, actually wasn't
    I struggled to find good footage of people actually ascending BS without a rope apart from this low quality video. It does help to indicate where BS is in relation to Scafell Pike/Scafell joining ridge.

I despise littering.
    Lonsdale Fell Runners

i have watched this video and whilst this makes the climb seem reasonably easy it doesnt do justice to the exsposure.

With out a safety rope, one slip and you fall 60 feet to the rocks below. many have got seriously injured or worse attemting this.

Dont forget if you are a BGR contender you have been on the go for 12 hours or more by this point and cramp can easily set in.

I would advice that you use a rope team or use one of the other two routes Foxes Tarn or West wall.

In wet conditions I have been up west wall traverse and got to the summit no more than 5 minutes after a group using broad stand with a rope.

NOTE The two walkers dont take the best line up to the plateau following broad stand.

A friend of mine (a qualified nurse) once had to look after someone dying of head injuries after falling from Broad Stand. Quite a few people have died the same way. I agree it's the fastest way up or down if you are competent to solo it in the conditions on the day - I did it many times in my climbing days. But nobody should be under any illusions about the danger. One slip in the wrong place and there's a significant chance you will die. I'm not saying don't do it, mind - just be sure you know what you are getting into.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Sound words Andy.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    i have watched this video and whilst this makes the climb seem reasonably easy it doesnt do justice to the exsposure.

With out a safety rope, one slip and you fall 60 feet to the rocks below. many have got seriously injured or worse attemting this.

Dont forget if you are a BGR contender you have been on the go for 12 hours or more by this point and cramp can easily set in.

I would advice that you use a rope team or use one of the other two routes Foxes Tarn or West wall.

In wet conditions I have been up west wall traverse and got to the summit no more than 5 minutes after a group using broad stand with a rope.

NOTE The two walkers dont take the best line up to the plateau following broad stand.
    My thoughts exactly.
    And it's only faster providing there's no-one having an epic on it when you get there.
    During a BG support an a popular June weekend a few years back we arrived at Mickledore to find a queue!
    We went via Foxes Tarn and still beat the second team to Scafell summit.
    Personally I favour Lords Rake, West Wall Traverse.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    And it's only faster providing there's no-one having an epic on it when you get there.
    During a BG support an a popular June weekend a few years back we arrived at Mickledore to find a queue!
    We went via Foxes Tarn and still beat the second team to Scafell summit.
    Personally I favour Lords Rake, West Wall Traverse.
    Yup. I've probably said it here before, but on my first attempt I was passed at Great End by a guy who started 30 minutes after me. When I got to Mickledore - in pretty wet and slimy conditions - he was having a tough time of it on Broad Stand, while I went on to Lord's Rake and WWT, overtaking HIM in the process. In fairness to the bloke, he did pass me again going down Sca Fell and went on to successfully complete his round, a fine effort in crap conditions.

Unless you are a competent climber and can be sure of Broad Stand being free of others, I genuinely don't think it's worth the angst and potential heartache. Learn the Foxes/Climbers Traverse route or LR/WWT instead, much more reliable (and safer).
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

If going up BS involves having my arse groped by a bloke with a camera strapped to his head, no thanks, I'm out.
    Geoff Clarke