Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Broad Stand

I'm supporting a clubmate on 10th June. We're going anticlockwise and starting at 8am which means we'll be at going down Broad Stand around 4pm on the Saturday afternoon.

The main concern is how busy it could be on a Saturday afternoon in June with other BG'ers on Broad Stand going in the opposite direction. There's also walkers / climbers to consider too.

What experience has anyone else had?
    See the light in the night

I know Steve Birkenshaw (on his Wainwrights) and Adam used the West Wall Traverse to get off Scafell. Although they were both going towards Lingmell, the DP train uses WWT on clockwise BGs as the bottom is about level with Mickledore, so it should be viable this way, although it is pretty eroded and you definitely want people who know what they're doing on it!

Finding it from the top of Scafell is a different matter however, it's not very obvious!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

The top bit of Deep Gill isn't particularly nice, quite loose and blocky wet rock. I wouldn't fancy descending it.

Broad Stand: the only bottleneck is the bit at the bottom but you can avoid this if you have rope and harnesses as there's an abseil point almost directly above the point at which Mickledore abuts the crag. I've used it in winter, it's about a 12m drop.

Unless you are confident then I'd consider Foxes Tarn to be the most reliable option
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Unless you are confident then I'd consider Foxes Tarn to be the most reliable option
    A better option is the climbers traverse which saves quite a bit of reascent. It is exposed and needs receing. After the traverse you climb steeply to join the Foxes Tarn path well above the tarn.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    A better option is the climbers traverse which saves quite a bit of reascent. It is exposed and needs receing. After the traverse you climb steeply to join the Foxes Tarn path well above the tarn.
    I would have mentioned it Yiannis but like you say, it needs recceing from the bottom to find where it leads to. There's a thread on here from a long while ago where I posted a shot of the East Buttress with the line of the traverse marked as well as a higher line that you should avoid. The thread got very long if I remember correctly.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Super Moderator
    The thread below plus the one linked by Rob - FITC (RIP) early on might help. I've not read them (again)

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...e-v-foxes-tarn
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks everyone. We're having another look around next week so this info will be useful.
    See the light in the night