Thread: Pendle course record

Pendle course record

In my research I have come across several course records for Pendle. One situation that intrigues is John Wild's 29-27 from 1981, followed by Jack Maitland's 29-44 in 1984. Did course change significantly (getting longer) between those two dates?
    Did it get quite a bit longer again at some point, as FRA website now gives record as Tom Addison at 32-40 from 2015?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    It used to go through the fields over Barley Hill on a fairly direct route to Buttock. If you look on the Pendle fell race website, you will see that the junior races still take such a route (I don't know if it is exactly the same as the old senior route, but it is certainly similar). Since 2015 the senior race has used the Ogden Reservoir road before turning northwards towards Buttock (see the website again); I am not sure about the reason for the change, but I think it was anticipated problems caused by large numbers on the route through the fields when Pendle was a Championship race.

I ran the race in 1981 (and got one of the 25 spot prizes that were awarded because it was the 25th anniversary race!). My next (and last) outing at Pendle was 1987, but I can't remember the course being any different, so I don't know why John Wild's record was superseded by Jack Maitland's.

The Fellrunner Summer 1984 page 27 provides an explanation.

In 2014 Pendle was a Championship race and the race route was lengthened (The Fellrunner Spring 2014 page 27). Addison won in 32.55 (The Fellrunner Summer 2014 page 83) which he then bettered in 2015.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The Fellrunner Summer 1984 page 27 provides an explanation.
    But someone wants to keep it a secret: pages 26 and 27 are missing from the scanned version of the Summer 1984 Fell Runner on the FRA website! And I'm not delving into the basement in my house (it's worse than getting into some of those potholes in the Dales) to find my copy of the print version. So spill the beans, Graham! What's the explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    But someone wants to keep it a secret: pages 26 and 27 are missing from the scanned version of the Summer 1984 Fell Runner on the FRA website! And I'm not delving into the basement in my house (it's worse than getting into some of those potholes in the Dales) to find my copy of the print version. So spill the beans, Graham! What's the explanation?
    "A shorter run up the track by the reservoir this year restored some of the lost fell to the race on what may now become the established course".
    (Alan Bocking).

Of course Anthony if you had all your Fellrunners and Calendars neatly filed in date order in their own bookcase to hand...

"A shorter run up the track by the reservoir this year restored some of the lost fell to the race on what may now become the established course".
    (Alan Bocking).

Of course Anthony if you had all your Fellrunners and Calendars neatly filed in date order in their own bookcase to hand...
    Anthony,

Further to my posting of the key fact, pages 26 and 27 of the Summer 1984 Fellrunner have now been added to the website and so the RO's report may now be read in full: without you having to gain access your basement.

Graham

Master
    Anthony,

Further to my posting of the key fact, pages 26 and 27 of the Summer 1984 Fellrunner have now been added to the website and so the RO's report may now be read in full: without you having to gain access your basement.

Graham
    Thank you and yes, I can turn my head to the side in order to read it.
    336 finishers in 1984: Pendle is one race where the fields are no longer as big as they used to be, unlike some "prestigious" races like Three Peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Thank you and yes, I can turn my head to the side in order to read it.
    336 finishers in 1984: Pendle is one race where the fields are no longer as big as they used to be, unlike some "prestigious" races like Three Peaks.
    During the weekend of Pendle in 1984 ( April 7/8th) there was only one other available race: Kentmere (and we all know...)

For the equivalent weekend in 2016 (April 2/3rd) there are six races available plus "mid-week" races on either side which just did not exist in 1984.