Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Lakeland 100 - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Posted before and not really Lakeland 100 specific but take a look at these http://www.irunfar.com/2013/05/new-b...le-review.html

My wife and I covered 236 miles across Scotland in May, with no blisters or hotspots in fact no foot problems whatsoever, the shoes dried quickly when they had the chance and inspired confidence on all the varied terrain we encountered we where also carrying 50ltr backpacking sacs (not my normal 12 ltr day sacs.
    Should add we wore Injini socks with the shoes.the socks rule out any chance of skin friction bear in mind we were in Scotland and spent several days in the wet, and the socks dried quickly when they had a chance .

I cover several miles a week in the Lakes using the above combination with no foot issues the cushioning in the shoes just seems to be right for variable terrain and the built in construction to allow for swelling feet on ultra`s really does work.

In addition a friend of mine has recently completed the 2180 mile Appalachian trail using the above combination without any foot issues whatsoever.

Just a suggestion but as ever what works for some may not work for others

Well done all that took part in the UTLD
    The shoes look nice.
    Not convinced on the socks for the relentless friction incurred on the Lakeland 100 (although they maybe a magic combo). The build up of heat and sweat, and rough terrain is relentless. I have had some Inji Inji socks for a while. I like them for fell runs but have little confidence in them for something this long and tough on feet. But as you say it's what works for you. So far Drymax socks are the big difference for me with this race.

Super Moderator
    My new Drymax socks have arrived. They are snug, very thick in spite of being the 1/4 Crew Trail Run, not the Max Protection, and also highly 'synthetic' feeling (I only ususally wear wool socks for walking and running and note there is no natural fibre in these at all). I was going to sit around at home this evening chilling but I *might* have to go for a run out to try them
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    My new Drymax socks have arrived. They are snug, very thick in spite of being the 1/4 Crew Trail Run, not the Max Protection, and also highly 'synthetic' feeling (I only ususally wear wool socks for walking and running and note there is no natural fibre in these at all). I was going to sit around at home this evening chilling but I *might* have to go for a run out to try them
    Please report back. I am on the brink of ordering some!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Master
    Injinji toe sox and drymax (non teflon) are my favourite cold/wet weather socks; in summer it is knee length X socks partly to reduce the tick risk.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Please report back. I am on the brink of ordering some!
    Initial feelings were they still felt very synthetic on my feet and have an almost plasticy handle. They are (even) thicker than PB or Running Bear wool socks. I've been out for an hour or so and have to say I'm quite impressed. I wore battered old Walshes and ran the roughest way I could do up and down the Beacon including the ginnel in both directions and the same with the 'tourist path'. My feet felt well protected. I'm going to try them on one foot with a conventional sock on the other next, plus I have one or two ideas for some 'critical none running' tests
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 30-07-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Fleet blathered in Sudocrem
    Hills and Guinness!

I 'only' did the 50 but I wore Injinji socks and roclite 285s and my feet are absolutely fine. No blisters and no lost toenails. The only thing was a slight bruise on a toe end from repeatedly stubbing it when I got tired.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    A good read - well run. Success takes many different forms - this is one of them.

I'd listen to Mr Lucker 3 times he's ran the Lakeland 100 making the top 10!
    Bill