Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakeland 100 - 2014

Re: Lakeland 100 - 2014

I'm pleased to be in but had to persist on my fiddly phone in a service station sunday afternoon to get in. There are still relatively few 50 and 100 mile trail / hill (not road / canal) races in this country, though there are those with quirky ultra distances distances like Fellsman, Bullock Smithy, etc. If the popularity of this still young event is representative of the appetite out there though, there will be more in future. Systems probably do need developing, ie a London Marathon style lottery. Also I was surprised (this being my first L100) that in this day and age the stated qualification requirements clearly did not filter people at the on-line application stage, as you're given a free-form text box to write down experience. I guess they can subsequently chuck out anyone whose experience falls short

Quote Originally Posted by RossL View Post
    I also missed it as I was at another event all day on Sunday and arrived home to find it full.
    I think the organisers need to seriously consider a Lottery and qualification for next year.
    I doubt they will. Very few races sell out within hours of opening, it's a race organiser's dream - why would they fix something that isn't broken? Changing from a First-come/First-served basis to a different method of entry would only make them more vulnerable to criticism and nobody would risk that.

There is a road half-marathon near York that sells out literally within hours of opening, when it was paper forms only people used to deliver them to the race secretary's house on the same day, often driving long distances to ensure a place. It's mayhem for the club concerned and they've had all sorts of problems over the years.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

West Highland Way entry is open for October to November. Then there's a lottery, this year they picked 16 people out which were eliminated! I'd need to check to be 100% sure tbh, but certainly that's what happened this year.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Super Moderator

I'll be surprised if there isn't a UTMB-style lottery next year for 2015 edition of the event
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I doubt they will. Very few races sell out within hours of opening, it's a race organiser's dream - why would they fix something that isn't broken? Changing from a First-come/First-served basis to a different method of entry would only make them more vulnerable to criticism and nobody would risk that.

There is a road half-marathon near York that sells out literally within hours of opening, when it was paper forms only people used to deliver them to the race secretary's house on the same day, often driving long distances to ensure a place. It's mayhem for the club concerned and they've had all sorts of problems over the years.
    I'm not sure why having an application period followed by a draw would risk criticism as this is surely the fairest method. Also with the power of the internet and websites these days there would certainly be no issue with any last minute spikes in entries.

The fairest method is first come first served. Its not difficult to make a note in your diary to book it and the LL50/100 made it absolutely clear that the event opened at 9am on Sunday way in advance.

Its their race, their choice. But it does exclude people who for whatever reason can't get to or don't own(rare these days I concede!!) a computer. I've no complaints not getting in but may have liked a better opportunity to try. But it has focused my mind on what I can do, should I get through the draw! Draws themselves can be bad as it puts other choices on hold, as my mate found when excluded from WHW. It really knocked him back as that was his complete focus.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    The fairest method is first come first served. Its not difficult to make a note in your diary to book it and the LL50/100 made it absolutely clear that the event opened at 9am on Sunday way in advance.
    hmmm, kind of agree. If London Mara did that you'd have the battle of the micro-seconds. Tinternet doesn't always work evenly either owing to a slow computer or the existence of some software workaround (ebay system is bypassed by those last-second bid gizmos). And dont get me started on the olympics. It'll come down to numbers of applicants in the end i think. Certain races eg Ben Nevis have consistently sold out a year ahead but remained without ballots etc (never entered the Ben Nevis but think its a straight application). L50/100 will stay as it is unless the numbers get unmanageable in which case they might take steps like a ballot

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    You have obviously never gone through the stress of trying to get an entry for the UTMB when they use to be first come first served.

To be honest, if I was really keen to get in I would have not been at the Tour ride but I'd have been sat in front of my computer at 9am instead. Shame that you have to organise your Sunday around entering a race, when it would be easier to have an application period.

Quote Originally Posted by RossL View Post
    You have obviously never gone through the stress of trying to get an entry for the UTMB when they use to be first come first served.

To be honest, if I was really keen to get in I would have not been at the Tour ride but I'd have been sat in front of my computer at 9am instead. Shame that you have to organise your Sunday around entering a race, when it would be easier to have an application period.
    But it was a sport ident entry so, without too much trouble, you could've asked someone to do it for you?