Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakeland 100 - 2014

Re: Lakeland 100 - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    But it was a sport ident entry so, without too much trouble, you could've asked someone to do it for you?
    I was in France but had made preparations - My sister entered me on the 50 at 9.09 - by the time she had registered me there were 300 entries. The Long Mynd Hike filled in 2 hours 17 minutes and its not the most brilliant route or format that could be devised. The Across Wales walk only takes postal entries and there are those who drive to the organisers door and personally post on the first morning. Still prefer first come first served - its transparent, you know where you are without a wait and it concentrates the mind to get organised.

Re: Lakeland 100 - 2014

slightly off topic but the Swaledale Marathon is so difficult to enter that I've lost interest in trying - there's plenty of other races to choose from.

all this online entry business does detract from the ethos of the sport for me - but then the Lakeland 50/100 isn't a fell race anyway - just a damn good event.

I can't imagine how someone would feel the need to do a specific event so much as to be upset they couldn't get into it - just go and do another race instead, or better still do something off your own bat - it's much more rewarding.

Bump.

I'm in for this. with about 19 weeks left training is going well.

Me too. Hoping to run the whole way round this year

Super Moderator
    Slightly concerned I'm down to 71 weeks to decide which shoes to wear in 2015
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Slightly concerned I'm down to 71 weeks to decide which shoes to wear in 2015
    That is truly the most difficult decision. I've decided to pack a few extra pairs in my drop bag! What a gamble!
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    That is truly the most difficult decision. I've decided to pack a few extra pairs in my drop bag! What a gamble!
    Joking aside; do not underestimate how damaging this course is on feet. I had one small blister after my BG. Three weeks after (75miles) of L100 and I was still struggling to walk. Think cushioning, protection and if someone tells you they ran in five fingers or plimsoles ignore them (politely of course)

Quote Originally Posted by spen View Post
    Bump.

I'm in for this. with about 19 weeks left training is going well.
    Oh sh£t train!
    Do some walk this route well the 50 thingy? Not run since November oh dear oh dear oh dear
    Going to try again....

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    Oh sh£t train!
    Do some walk this route well the 50 thingy? Not run since November oh dear oh dear oh dear
    Yes I *think* you have 24 hours for the fifty and folk were definitely coming in on the Sunday morning in leather boots with rucksacs and poles etc

Entered the race because I wanted a summer 100 in a beautiful place, then noticed it's all navigation. Now that we're getting closer, I'm starting to worry.

No chance for recceing because I'm from Italy, I know approx the kind of scenario because I've been to the Lakes three times and run a lot up there.

I'm no master with map and compass, but guess I can say I'm good enough to survive. The real question is: how bad it is? You run with the roadbook in hand and check most of the times? Or you really have to pull out the map a lot? GPS might help (don't have one but will eventually steal one from my mate)?

Have been watching the great video on the Tube somebody made, with all the most important crossroads, and so far it's been really helpful to at least get an idea of the terrain, but at night I know things will be different...

Great race, anyhow, really looking forward to have a go at it.