Thread: Coasting round britain

Coasting round britain

I hope people don't mind me introducing my Uncle, David Higgins, to you all. Dave is currently somewhere on the west coast of Scotland, some 1900miles into his 6000 mile walk around Britain's coastline.

Despite being a walk not a run, and the coast being somewhat limited in fells, I thought this may be of interest to my fell running friends... After all, this is certainly a long distance challenge!

If anyone wants to track his progress, meet him on route or just wish him well - he is regularly posting updates on his website:

http://coastingroundbritain.co.uk/crb/default.php

Dave is completing most of this challenge solo, backpacking and sleeping in his tent. He is still going strong and so far has raised over £2,500 for a very worthy cause. As I'm sure many of us who have battled our way through our own personal challenges will appreciate; any offers of company or simple words of encouragement will certainly help him along the way, particularly as the weather starts to turn and the long nights draw in...

Thanks for reading, see you on the hills.

Andrew Higgins
    Last edited by Higgs87; 05-09-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Re: Coasting round britain

I love coastal path running and, for sure, the bits me and Hes and Harry have done backpacking all our gear - the full 190 miles of the Pembrokeshire coastal path and 140 miles from Bude to Lands End in Cornwall - have been tough and hilly (and beautiful). Never mind the personal challenge of going round the full British coastline, it just sounds like fun to me. That said huge tracts of the coast line, especially in Scotland, are inaccessible aren't they - presumably he's taking a near as damn it route up there?

Re: Coasting round britain

I'm sure Dave is looking forward to some well walked and maintained coastal paths. He has found the last section very tough - as you said, the section around Knoydart etc is very rugged and the 'near as damn it' approach has had to be applied! In some cases climbing up and over hills to avoid dangerous/impossible terrain was required (and the M.O.D don't take to kindly to trespassers!). I think it is the unavoidable road sections that he is finding hardest.

I spent Sunday walking with Dave on the coast from Stranraer to Portpatrick; he is still in high spirits and going strong! (Which is more than I can say for his second pair of boots!) He recons in a couple of weeks, when he gets to Gretna, he will feel like he has got somewhere... With the entire coast of Scotland (and around 2,500miles) under his belt/feet I would tend to agree!

3000 miles! Over half way.

That's some walk. Some good walking coming up too.
    pies

5000 miles!

Now heading North to his finishing point back in Yorkshire. Anyone who wants to join him along the last few hundred miles he would welcome your company and support.

http://www.coastingroundbritain.co.uk/crb/default.php

Cheers,

Andrew
    Last edited by Higgs87; 28-05-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Link added

Strewth.

Good going that fella
    pies