Thread: Hello FRA - Hello Pennine Fell Runners

Hello FRA - Hello Pennine Fell Runners

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to start my fell running adventure next week at the Pennine Fell Runner's training on Thursday. I love running, love it when my routes take me off road, loved the Tough Mudder I did this summer so by logical extension I want to embark on some fell-running.

On the back of some friendly advice and reading on here I've got myself some Salomon Speedcross 3's and will be ordering a Petzl Tikka XP2 today. I'm guessing they should see me fine for training?

What's the advice on clothes with the season's remembering that it's actually Autumn now and should be cold. Should I be taking hat and gloves yet? I'm someone who instantly starts to melt as soon as I run. And socks? I usually go for 2 pairs of thin trainer socks but I've no idea if that's adequate.

Advice would be so appreciated.

Cheers
    John

Hi Dragilex

Welcome to the forum.

I normally run with some sort of extra clothes in my bumbag at this time of year. I'm the same - I get hot pretty quick, but also cool down quickly if I run out of energy.

Socks: I like hilly twin skins, but everyone has different opinions.

I look forward to seeing you at some local races. Enjoy the training on Thursday.

This time of year lightish hat and gloves would be enough. Your more than likley not need them for a while,but just keep them in a small running rucksack or bumbag. The Thursday runs meet at 7pm for 7:10 start and usually finish between 8:20 to 8:50.

Some of the harder blokes will still be in shorts!

See ya tonight.

I go over to Hayfield each Monday night for a run on my own while my son is at Cadets. I start at the same place at 7pm and run until about 8:30.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 10-10-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Hello! definitely invest in a buff...can be used for many things and I often carry a spare in winter, though one is plenty at this time of year. I also usually have thin gloves and a windproof beanie in the bag. also essential if you're out alone or with a group is an emergency bivi
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adventure-Me...mergency+bivvy
    I see the price of them is creeping up, think I paid £14 last year. but, it'll be a life saver if you end up stopping. any reason to stop soon results in you getting very cold once you've been running for even a short distance.

shorts are of course mandatory for most of the year ;-)
    (with the waterproof trousers in bumbag!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragilex View Post
    Hi everyone.

I'm looking to start my fell running adventure next week at the Pennine Fell Runner's training on Thursday. I love running, love it when my routes take me off road, loved the Tough Mudder I did this summer so by logical extension I want to embark on some fell-running.

On the back of some friendly advice and reading on here I've got myself some Salomon Speedcross 3's and will be ordering a Petzl Tikka XP2 today. I'm guessing they should see me fine for training?

What's the advice on clothes with the season's remembering that it's actually Autumn now and should be cold. Should I be taking hat and gloves yet? I'm someone who instantly starts to melt as soon as I run. And socks? I usually go for 2 pairs of thin trainer socks but I've no idea if that's adequate.
    Advice would be so appreciated.

Cheers
    John
    Hi John - you'll definitely need a bumbag or small running sack, especially at this time of year. At some point you'll either be too hot or too cold. Start off with an extra layer, then take it off as soon as you're warm enough.
    Look forward to meeting you on Thursday. Don't forget some money for a pint in the Royal afterwards.
    Geoff

Don't forget some cash for a drinky with the ladies and gents in the Royal after the run.

Sorry Geoff Just noticed the last line of your message.

Thanks for all the advice. Looking forward to next Thursday already. Bringing extra stuff and running with it all in a bag seems like the best option for me. Once I meet some fellow runners and can have a look at what everyone is running in/with I can make some better informed decisions.

Hi John, I've been using Inov-8 trail socks for a while now and find them excellent. Used Hilly's for years, but he Inov-8's were on offer at Wiggle and I'm sticking with them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabra Montés View Post
    Hi John, I've been using Inov-8 trail socks for a while now and find them excellent. Used Hilly's for years, but he Inov-8's were on offer at Wiggle and I'm sticking with them now.
    Cheers for that. I've been using PB's trail socks, they're not bad at all, ended up with 4 pairs, gonna be some time till I've worn them out. Will likely need some smaller socks for the summer months like.
    Surely this is the last hill, right...