Thread: New to Fell Running

New to Fell Running

hi all, quick intro:
    I am an established runner 5K, 10K & Half's and am looking at mixing it up a bit trying to do some fell races over winter and hopefully carry this on. I have a few mates also very keen to get into this. I run for a club so will be doing mainly XC over the winter and track sessions.

Trying to get all the kit together... costing a bit but will hopefully make good use out of it. sorted for Inov-8 bumbag and also racepac 4 to carry water proofs etc. Would like advice/recommendations on a starting out/fairly cheap set of water proofs & also footware. Only currently own my road trainers and some trail Cascadia 7's (which im not keen on). Was thinking Inov-8 Talon X 212's as these could also be used for XC?

Also any advise on starting out races as I appreciate most you need previous experience for.

I do already own a head torch also and use this for my night runs at the moment down the canal and back lanes. probably do about 20 to 30miles a week if this helps in any way.

I am situated in Cheshire about 40mins from Macc so was thinking about a few training runs up Teggs and about 30mins from Congleton so could park up at the base of the cloud and run up and down there!

Hope im not asking to much, looking forward to getting into this and I can hopefully help out with any running associated banter and stick around for the crack.

Cheers

James
    Last edited by JBullseyeRunner74; 05-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.

For better or worse, you'll want to read this http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...nimum-standard

X-Talons will do great

There's a club in Macc which caters for hills http://www.macclesfield-harriers.co....dnesday-nights

Give 'em a whirl if you can get along. I suspect there'll be folk nearer to hand to train with. Some folk on the forum might be able to advise better than I.

Races, hmm. Can you use a map and compass? Again, a local club will probably have folk to get you up to speed. Failing that there are specific navigation courses for Fell Runners. IanDP on the forum runs them some the Peak.

And welcome to the Forum.
    pies

Thanks for the response, I will read this later.
    I know a few of Macc Harriers guy's didn't think to speak to them good idea... I see them at most races and the odd parkrun. Im sure I can rub up on how to use a map and compass its been a few years since I did orienteering at school though.
    I wont be able to join another club as im already affiliated with one.

Thanks again ill look at getting some X-Talons

Quote Originally Posted by JBullseyeRunner74 View Post
    Thanks for the response, I will read this later.
    I know a few of Macc Harriers guy's didn't think to speak to them good idea... I see them at most races and the odd parkrun. Im sure I can rub up on how to use a map and compass its been a few years since I did orienteering at school though.
    I wont be able to join another club as im already affiliated with one.

Thanks again ill look at getting some X-Talons
    Nothing to stop you joining more than one club, you just race for your "first claim club"

Quote Originally Posted by JBullseyeRunner74 View Post
    hi all, quick intro:
    I am an established runner 5K, 10K & Half's and am looking at mixing it up a bit trying to do some fell races over winter and hopefully carry this on. I have a few mates also very keen to get into this. I run for a club so will be doing mainly XC over the winter and track sessions.

Trying to get all the kit together... costing a bit but will hopefully make good use out of it. sorted for Inov-8 bumbag and also racepac 4 to carry water proofs etc. Would like advice/recommendations on a starting out/fairly cheap set of water proofs & also footware. Only currently own my road trainers and some trail Cascadia 7's (which im not keen on). Was thinking Inov-8 Talon X 212's as these could also be used for XC?

Also any advise on starting out races as I appreciate most you need previous experience for.

I do already own a head torch also and use this for my night runs at the moment down the canal and back lanes. probably do about 20 to 30miles a week if this helps in any way.

I am situated in Cheshire about 40mins from Macc so was thinking about a few training runs up Teggs and about 30mins from Congleton so could park up at the base of the cloud and run up and down there!

Hope im not asking to much, looking forward to getting into this and I can hopefully help out with any running associated banter and stick around for the crack.

Cheers

James
    Hi James,
    Where abouts do you live?
    I live in Congleton and train over the Cloud a lot (not a the moment due to foot issues).
    Let me know if you want any route tips. I'd be happy to show you around.

Tim

Thanks Tim am in middlewich, will let you know how I get on and if I need any route tips. Was just thinking park up at that pub near and run up and down. Have walked up loads of times but always parked right up neare the top.

I've got a nice figure of 8 route that goes over the top twice. If you're gonna drive out, its gotta be worth seeing the trig point twice. Drop me a PM any time.

You can come out with the Cheshire Hash any time.
    You don't 'join' as such, we are fairly laid back. Run and chat, then drink and chat.
    A lot of us run trail and mixed terrain, as well as having one or two quietly understated OMM veterans/ UTLD competitors/ ultra nutters. As well as some road runners :-)
    Lots of friendly advice about kit and races. No speed intervals or track training :-)

Every Tuesday night of the year, from a different pub car park somewhere in Cheshire - often not too far from Middlewich, which I often drive through on my way home to Congleton
    5.5(ish) gentle(ish) miles in 90mins then a couple of drinks. A hare-and-hounds(sort of) trail, you'll get the idea.
    Turn up every week, or once a year, or just when we're passing - whatever
    See us here: http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/hashruns.htm or
    here: https://www.facebook.com/CheshireHashHouseHarriers
    pm me or post on the FB page/ via the Webmaster on the website if you are interested.
    Good transition advice guaranteed. And mud.

Otherwise, Congleton Harriers do a lot of off-road stuff(they are, like me, obsessed with the Cloud), as do the Delamere Spartans, to name a couple of other alternatives.
    Congleton Harriers off-road races(they also do a road Half) - the Passing Clouds and the Cloud 9 are great starters. Also the Mow Cop Runners do a couple of races, as do Macc Harriers. All of these are minimal/ no navigation and close-to-facilities enough for competent beginners

As for kit... there's an evening or two to while away. Come and see what others wear/ use, and go from there. Ebay is OK for stuff, as well as the Sales and Wants page on here
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

On shoes - I have a pair of x-talons I 'save' for races
    I 'train' in Inov8 Roclites or La Sportiva Croslites
    I have a pair of ASICS gel trail shoes for the harder surfaces/ summer
    And some ASICS Nimbus for roads
    My starting gear was from ALDI; now I pick sale stuff from around; got a lot of stuff off eBay or the Forum here but some was new bit-by-bit - promised myself a Kamleika II top(or similar) for Christmas

I think of the x-talons as not an everyday shoe; others may disagree. Skinny widely spaced studs that wear fast, so I save them for 'races'. There's not much cushioning or stone protection in them.
    For me the ideal mixed shoe is the Roclite, but your feet may vary. Others like the Salomon shoes(expensive); not much wrong with the Adidas Kanadia(budget) or the Mudclaws/ Walshes for the 'real' fell runner
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

David.. many thanks for you reply, offer sounds good but I do train with my Club VR on a Tuesday which is critical for my racing/speedwork. Im familiar with all these clubs I see then at lost of events. I did Delamere parkrun last sat there were many Spartans!! Have been doing the canal tow path for XC practice which is nice and muddy :-)
    Ill check your links see if I get a fee night to come for a chat would be really good, ive just got my x-talon 212's yesterday but I also have another pair of trail trainers for the likes of Delamere etc. Kit is coming on apart from Melting my cheap Aldi water proof in the washer the other day! :-(
    Cloud 9 is on my list for 2014 and im going to try and get up the cloud asap to try our my new 212's.

Thanks again