Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Old County Tops

Re: Old Counties Tops Race

Got that slightly wrong Paulo ... Angle Tarn cut-off seems to be 5.5 hours with Cockley Beck Bridge 7.5 hours. If it's any consolation, from what I've read, a team who did 11hrs 5mins hit Cockley Beck with 15mins to spare and seem to have made the Angle Tarn with at least 30mins to spare.

Oh, and on Saturday, on my own, with some route-finding errors early on, taking it very easy.....I did just under 2.20 to the top of Helvellyn - which about fits in with 10-11 hour schedule.

Has anyone had anything back from organisers yet? I noticed that my cheque's been cashed so presume we're in
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Had a superb day out today. Parked up at Stickle Barn CP and headed up Rosset Ghyll to join the route at Angle Tarn and did the rest of it. The section coming down from Little Narrowcove to Mosedale was just fantastic. Don't know how much time I added just stopping to turn round and drink in the views!!!! I only saw one other person from there 'til I was on top of the Coniston fells. Routes don't get much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by goose fat View Post
    Had a superb day out today. Parked up at Stickle Barn CP and headed up Rosset Ghyll to join the route at Angle Tarn and did the rest of it. The section coming down from Little Narrowcove to Mosedale was just fantastic. Don't know how much time I added just stopping to turn round and drink in the views!!!! I only saw one other person from there 'til I was on top of the Coniston fells. Routes don't get much better than that.
    That's what I did a few weeks ago Goose....it is FANTASTIC isn't it?! Great Moss looks beautiful from up Little Narrowcove. How wet was it underfoot? Was quite boggy when I was there but there had been a fair amount of snow. Can imagine it would have dried out a fair bit.

Which way did you come down off the Coniston fells? Down to 3 Shires Stone? Apparently, some folks try and follow a grassy ridge all the way to the point where you turn off the road at the bottom

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Which way did you come down off the Coniston fells? Down to 3 Shires Stone? Apparently, some folks try and follow a grassy ridge all the way to the point where you turn off the road at the bottom
    Just headed down to 3 shires stone from just after the big cairn on the top (the way you all seem to descend on the Three Shires race) and down the road from there. Reckoned that would be as good as any route at that stage in the race.

Any one tried any other ways off Scafell Pike than Little Narrowcove?

Hoping to recce the first half......to Angle Tarn, tomorrow. I probably won't be starting 'til midday, leaving the Gosling with his Grand parents and travelling over from Northumberland, but anyone wanting to join in, I'll be in the NT carpark by the NDG. in a blue/grey(blah, blah) Renault Scenic YB04 KNU. See you near the gate at 12-12.10. If I'm not there by 12.30 get going!!!!

anyone scanned in the entry form? would save sending an SAE to the organiser which seems a bit of a waste of time and stamps.

I have just got an entry form. I will try and scan it tonight.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by goose fat View Post
    Just headed down to 3 shires stone from just after the big cairn on the top (the way you all seem to descend on the Three Shires race) and down the road from there. Reckoned that would be as good as any route at that stage in the race.

Any one tried any other ways off Scafell Pike than Little Narrowcove?

Hoping to recce the first half......to Angle Tarn, tomorrow. I probably won't be starting 'til midday, leaving the Gosling with his Grand parents and travelling over from Northumberland, but anyone wanting to join in, I'll be in the NT carpark by the NDG. in a blue/grey(blah, blah) Renault Scenic YB04 KNU. See you near the gate at 12-12.10. If I'm not there by 12.30 get going!!!!

How did it go Goose? Sorry I couldn't make it....would love to have had another recce. Did you get the line off Helvellyn ok? I dropped into the ghyll too early, but I know better now!

Hmmm....looking back at Scafell Pike, I remember thinking that there WERE ways to drop straight down....but also thought that it could be a nightmare finding way through boulder fields and crags whereas Little Narrowcove is sort of runnable and easy to follow. Also gives an easy line at the bottom to get across to the left of Great Moss.

blog

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I have just got an entry form. I will try and scan it tonight.

Martin

I have put it on the Clayton website

http://www.clayton-le-moors-harriers...ps_EF_2007.doc

Note the scanned in document will have errors!!!!

Also press cancel if it asks you for authentification.

many thanks martin.

seemed to work without errors for me.