Page 52 of 83 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Old County Tops

Re: Old Counties Tops

I wasn't going to bother coming back to this but after a mate told me of some of the comments I thought I'd have a look. I only came across this thread by accident in the first place after following a link while looking for results. I don't normally bother with the forum for two reasons. One is the sheer banality of a lot what passes for conversation on here. The other is the sanctimonious, holier than thou, I never break a rule attitude of a lot of people taking part.
    The next time some of you are hammering down a motorway at 90mph and fiddling with your cd player/talking on your phone/eating a butty, maybe give a thought about safety and breaking rules. I know we broke a rule, and I don't mind getting a ticking off from the organisers but that is as far as it goes. By the way, what's this about 'golden' rules. I thought rules were rules. Or are they graded nowadays, gold, silver and bronze maybe. For a gold, an outright ban, a silver, possibly three across the backside with a large studded fell shoe and for a bronze you get your gels confiscated. Don't take that as gospel though. You forumites feel free to bat that back and forth between yourselves for the next six months.
    For the record we weren't trying to gain any advantage or cheat in any way. How could we? And I have to say the marshalls didn't make a big drama of it and the nice lady at the finish merely said it was a shame my mate had to rush off.
    When he left me we were up on the ridge on the way to Coniston with a pair from Pudsey, who we knew, and a guy from Ratti who was on his own and said he was doing the last section. My mate took off with him and I stayed with the Pudsey lads almost to the finish. At no time was I on my own. So Studmark, (bet that name took some thinking up), whoever you found floundering around on his own wasn't me. As for the time gap on Coniston, we should have been a couple of minutes behind him, but we went on a bit far and had to retrace our steps.
    He didn't lie, I didn't die.
    I shan't be reading or writing any more about this.
    It's all yours girls............I'm off to listen to some Roger Waters..........maybe Comfortably Numb..........much like some of your brains.

Master

Nothing nasty happened, but it could have. The rules are there to protect both the participants and the ROs.

Results including all the splits now up on the Achille Ratti site

Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    I wasn't going to bother coming back to this... I don't normally bother with the forum... You forumites feel free to bat that back and forth between yourselves for the next six months... I shan't be reading or writing any more about this...
    ...which all rather smells of someone who'll be back for a sneaky check to see what's been written on the forum! Bless.
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    ...which all rather smells of someone who'll be back for a sneaky check to see what's been written on the forum! Bless.
    On a positive note, what a cracking time by that Ambleside pair in them conditions, well done to em by someone trailing a good few hours behind but happy to finish:thumbup:
    Hills and Guinness!

So, to continue your example, if I get caught speeding at 90mph whilst eating a sandwich and changing my cd player, I have the good grace to hold my hands up and admit I broke the rules and deserve what's coming to me. Fancy trying the same, showing a bit of humility and remorse and recognising, more than anything, that the RACE ORGANISER was upset with your actions and has said not to bother coming back. That's the key. It doesn't who else said what or did what on the day, you flouted the rules knowingly and you've been told you're not welcome in future.

I wasn't going to bother coming back to this but after a mate told me of some of the comments I thought I'd have a look. I only came across this thread by accident in the first place after following a link while looking for results. I don't normally bother with the forum for two reasons. One is the sheer banality of a lot what passes for conversation on here. The other is the sanctimonious, holier than thou, I never break a rule attitude of a lot of people taking part.
    The next time some of you are hammering down a motorway at 90mph and fiddling with your cd player/talking on your phone/eating a butty, maybe give a thought about safety and breaking rules. I know we broke a rule, and I don't mind getting a ticking off from the organisers but that is as far as it goes. By the way, what's this about 'golden' rules. I thought rules were rules. Or are they graded nowadays, gold, silver and bronze maybe. For a gold, an outright ban, a silver, possibly three across the backside with a large studded fell shoe and for a bronze you get your gels confiscated. Don't take that as gospel though. You forumites feel free to bat that back and forth between yourselves for the next six months.
    For the record we weren't trying to gain any advantage or cheat in any way. How could we? And I have to say the marshalls didn't make a big drama of it and the nice lady at the finish merely said it was a shame my mate had to rush off.
    When he left me we were up on the ridge on the way to Coniston with a pair from Pudsey, who we knew, and a guy from Ratti who was on his own and said he was doing the last section. My mate took off with him and I stayed with the Pudsey lads almost to the finish. At no time was I on my own. So Studmark, (bet that name took some thinking up), whoever you found floundering around on his own wasn't me. As for the time gap on Coniston, we should have been a couple of minutes behind him, but we went on a bit far and had to retrace our steps.
    It's all yours girls............I'm off to listen to some Roger Waters..........maybe Comfortably Numb..........much like some of your brains.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Although you want be reading this:wink: I will reply anyway I presume looking at the results you are team no 42 who were DQF which I believe was the same number the runner I saw had, if you were trying to gain an advantage that's not the point here and don't give a monkeys if you were, the fact is you blatantly and deliberately flaunted the safety rules, if something had gone wrong it would be the organiser at the inquest explaining why he and the marshals had let you carry on.
    By the way Studmarks was the best name I could come up with at the time traveling down the motorway at 90 eating a butty trying to put Pink Floyd on the cd player and if you are thinking of entering a particular AL fell race on Pendle at the beginning of May next year don't bother turning up you wont be welcome, anyway I have heard David Gilmour might be touring around then and wouldn't want you to miss it!

What a sad state of affairs, first off breaking an obvious rule for this race, then making your own up as you go along. Then coming on here and and having a dig at everyone, where's it got them, not welcome at loads of races. Not good for two blokes that are experienced, good fellrunners. To be honest you've only got yourselves to blame, understand your annoyed and upset by what happened, but your attitude is a bit childish. Usually when iv'e done something wrong an apology works a dam sight better than a tantrum.
    Hills and Guinness!

Agree, it's a shame.

But apart from all that, it sounds an amazing event from the comments and the pictures. One for the ever-growing shortlist. I hope petrol prices have come down a bit by then to make monthly trips to the Lakes a bit easier to explain

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    On a positive note, what a cracking time by that Ambleside pair in them conditions, well done to em by someone trailing a good few hours behind but happy to finish:thumbup:
    Cheers! But we were relieved to have beaten that awful rain. Anybody having to run into that on their way towards the Old Man needed more strength than we had to find.