Page 54 of 83 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Old County Tops

Master

Re: Old Counties Tops

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    Had a look at this on maps last night, using the grid references from earlier in the thread (although left out the World of Beatrix Potter checkpoint!).

First thoughts: Blimey.

I couldn't see hardly any obvious ways to get from checkpoint to checkpoint! Will look through the thread again for guidance. I'm sure (sort of) that it'd make more sense when on the ground.
    LFF

The route becomes very apparent as you do it and the route finding not that tricky. This is probably aided by being mid pack rather than at the front, but I think those runners know the route inside out. I joined in last year by responding to a shout on the forum from a chap wanting a partner. It worked out well that we both had similar aspirations re time and were well matched. Its probably worth you enquiring here for a partner a moth or so before registration closes? It was a great event despite brutal conditions up on The Coniston's.

Hi, thanks for that. Reassuring. It sounds an amazing event.

Will continue to look at the comments and look forward to a recce at some point.

Cheers,

Josh

I went SW from Elterwater on the big track over to Little Langdale, round the south of Little Landgale Tarn and up on to Wet Side Edge. Then the ridge along to the Old Man and back along to the col between Great Carrs and Grey Friar where I droppped down to Cockley Beck (no path). From there up Mosedale and under Long Crag from where I went straight across Great Moss, but it was fairly dry underfoot... in wet conditions it would be a nightmare and well worth skirting round. Straight up to Mickledore and on to Scafell Pike then the motorway down to Angle Tarn, round to Stake Pass and the direct line up High Raise (well worth picking up the path as it's easier underfoot). From High Raise it's Low White Stones and down the Wythburn valley to Thirlmere, up Helvellyn via Birk Side, down to Grisedale Tarn and carry down to Grasmere, then a brief bit of road before cutting up through Red Bank Woods and down to Elterwater. Like I said, not the race route, but a great day out and the vast majority of it on paths so route finding is no problem. I think it totalled something like 60k/3000m. Hope that's useful.

forgive me for this, but can't seem to find the info---- i am looking for the cut off time info (all of them) and grid for turn off from Chapel Stile
    Cheers Steve
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    forgive me for this, but can't seem to find the info---- i am looking for the cut off time info (all of them) and grid for turn off from Chapel Stile
    Cheers Steve
    Try this. Grid ref. is NY31360603
    Last edited by Marvin; 29-08-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added details of Chapel Stile GR

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Try this.
    Thanks Marv u r a star xxx
    Going to try again....

Thanks Marv u r a star xxx
    P.S. See details in edit of previous post and PM me if you want a GPX of an approximate route.
    Last edited by Marvin; 29-08-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    P.S. See details in edit of previous post and PM me if you want a GPX of an approximate route.
    Marvin i have sent you a pm xxx
    Going to try again....

Cheers Steve
    is this the big target for next year then Steve? take it steady on that descent, we want no repeats.......

Hope the recovery is well on it's way.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    is this the big target for next year then Steve? take it steady on that descent, we want no repeats.......

Hope the recovery is well on it's way.
    I could not possibly say sir, i was trying to get the route off Marvin so i could walk it over two days from Langdale, but he has gone into hyper space :wink:
    Going to try again....