Thread: Hello

Banbury, Oxordshire (long way from mountains)

Hello

Hello - forum reader for sometime, finally got around to registering. Fellrunning wise: mostly Mountain Marathons and longer navigational events but living in the south don't get out into the fells as much as would like, plenty of Orienteering however. Otherwise get out to the Alps most summers and there's a bit of climbing thrown in every so often as well.

Welcome to the site Mak

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Hey up and welcome.

Welcome to the forum MAK

Hows the running on Edge Hill these days? And Burton Dassett for that matter?
    pies

Hi Shaunaneto - you obviously know the area. Edge Hill - you know never thought of running there. Burton Dassett is used regularly as an event location by our Orienteering Club - excellent for lots of micro nav related to contours. Occasionally get out there to run up and down as that's the nearest I've got to anything steep and rough underfoot - but not that rough really!

Just watch out for the dogs on the farm at the top of Sunrising.

Terrors they are. You can bypass them easy enough by taking a southerly detour. Plenty of XC of the back of Edge Hill to create a loop as well, and numerous steepish (albeit short) options on Edge Hill if you stray off path. Especially up the western end.

The hills may not be big, but they get bigger when you've 3kg of wet clay glued to each of yer feet.
    pies

Hi MAK, welcome to the forum. How's Banbury these days?

I went to good old BGN school (living in and around Bicester at the time) but left the area 30 years ago now. Like you say not much in the way of big hills (even our school cross country routes were almost completely flat) but try thinking that after c48 miles of the Tour de Trigs challenge walk as you trundle up Crouch Hill having been up and around Edge Hill, Windmill Hill and a few other lumps over the preceding 15 hours!

Hi MAK hello and welcome. I live and work in the area, let me now if you're ever travelling to an event etc. and fancy sharing fuel costs etc. I asume you're with TVOC? I am thinking of popping along on the 7th of Dec for the Saturday morning event to give it a go and see what it is all about.

Hello Jezzlar. Sharing fuel costs etc sounds like a good idea. We are members of Octavian Droobers(OD) who are coventry based - but also do many TVOC events - both good clubs. We might be at the 7th event ourselves - if so I'll contact you beforehand and we can probably hook up.

Nice one MAK sounds good. I have found a race close to home, Watlington 10k a week on Saturday, not quite mountains but should be fun all the same. I'll be popping over that side of the M40 if you are interested in a lift.