Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyme Disease

Lyme's has always worried the hell out of me, as ticks seem to love my blood!

Must be big relief to finally get a diagnosis Hanneke and at least to know what you are dealing with. Seems you are starting to win the battle too. For what it's worth, my cousin had it (single tick bite in his back garden in Hampshire, but fortunately had a distinctive bulls-eye rash!) and whilst it took him six months of treatment, he is now back to full health.

Best of luck for the same for you.

Thanks Stumpy... Good to hear he got better! I seem to largely hear stories of people who never got better. Predictions are 6-12 months of treatment... Having a bad time with it at the moment, bit of a relapse

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Lyme's has always worried the hell out of me, as ticks seem to love my blood!

Must be big relief to finally get a diagnosis Hanneke and at least to know what you are dealing with. Seems you are starting to win the battle too. For what it's worth, my cousin had it (single tick bite in his back garden in Hampshire, but fortunately had a distinctive bulls-eye rash!) and whilst it took him six months of treatment, he is now back to full health.

Best of luck for the same for you.
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Really glad to hear you are on the mend. Any chance of knowing what the blood tests showed, and which antibiotic(s) you are on?

Best wishes

Mike
    Just went to doctor's today for what I and she suspects to be very (i.e. 1 week) early stages of LD. Apparently the antibiotic recommended is Doxycyclone, or at least that's what I've got. Luckily I spotted the tick as I brushed the body off my leg and kept at eye out for a spreading rash so got to GP ASAP and she'd had previous experience of dealing with LD.

Master
    Doxycycline 100mgs twice a day for a couple of weeks is the standard treatment for adults for early disease. Prevention needs to be emphasised more - tights/long socks, and check carefully after potential exposure.

You obviously know your stuff Mike, that's exactly what I'm on.

Mike is a doctor... I'd personally want 4 weeks doxy, 200 mg bd... But that is just me, knowing the life cycle of the spirochete... Glad you caught it early though, it ain't fun being diagnosed 15 months after infection... 4 months into treatment and only about halfway there... *sighs*

Totally agree with prevention! If there was more awareness, most of us late stage Lyme sufferers would'nt be ill... *sighs* and that awareness goes for both patient and doctor!

Also, not everybody gets a rash, so not getting a rash doesn't mean you aren't infected. Watch out for flu like symptoms within a few weeks of being bitten as well!

I understand there is a vaccine available for dogs and human trials are ongoing, following withdrawal of an early vaccine. Taking preventative measures is obviously the right thing to do, but not many people are going to wear tights on a hot summer's day in the lakes, and the little critters can be damn tricky to spot (especially with hairy legs!).

I don't like using DEET, but does anyone know if Avon Skin so Softly smells as nasty to ticks as it does to midges?

No idea stumpy

I am very worried about getting bitten again, now that I am regaining enough fitness ot go out on the hills again... Like you, I don't really want to wear longs all year round. So far it has been too cold for bare legs, but we will soon be in temperatures warm enough to both bring the critters out en masse, after a wet and mild winter, and to bare our legs...

Not sure what to do. Slathering myself in Deet every time I go out doesn't seem to be the solution...

I am taking Astragalus, a herbal extract, that apparently makes you unpalatable as in the bite but drop off and don't latch on. I don't really want to test it though, so prefer something else as well!!!

All suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I understand there is a vaccine available for dogs and human trials are ongoing, following withdrawal of an early vaccine. Taking preventative measures is obviously the right thing to do, but not many people are going to wear tights on a hot summer's day in the lakes, and the little critters can be damn tricky to spot (especially with hairy legs!).

I don't like using DEET, but does anyone know if Avon Skin so Softly smells as nasty to ticks as it does to midges?

*shudders at the number of ticks I've extracted over the last 5 years.

Can't remember what my record is now, 14-18 in one sitting. I didn't take that 'short cut' again.
    pies

Bloody hell Shaunaneto! 18 in one go? You must have no blood left! Some of the ones I've pulled off have REALLY not wanted to let go (worst was in the groin....) , so must have been painful too! Astragalus might be something to look into.