Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyme Disease

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    Ticks require a high humidity (>90%) to survive off a host so are not likely to set up an infestation in the home (although there are reports of Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Brown Dog Tick) infesting homes in the US. The most common tick to attach to people and pets in the UK is Ixodes Ricinus. They mate on the host (be that farm animal, hedgehog, dog, you) and then the female stays attached to suck blood before laying eggs up to 14 days later. Chances are you would spot this female before she laid any eggs anyway so you won't have an issue with them in the home.
    We've been looking into what's best to repel them. They are belligerent blighters as everyone knows and our standard pet products (Fipronil and imidacloprid based) don't always seem to repel them. Seems DEET on the legs is the best thing (although OK for us we don't recommend this on pets).
    In the vet world we have a real worry about the introduction of more exotic tick species due to relaxation of the PET travel scheme. If travelling abroad vets still recommend tick treatment and you should always carefully check your dog before coming back to the UK. A recent random study of pet dogs showed that 15% of them were carrying attached ticks without their owners' knowledge!
    That's interesting info brummievet. In terms of repelling them on humans, I think IDP has the right idea, it needs some form of barrier and, to some extent at least, it doesn't seem to matter what it is. I've even found suncream has some effect.

I'm not surprised that 15% of dogs carry ticks without their owners' knowledge - a lot of people still aren't fully aware of the risk and prevalence of ticks plus they do seem to hide themselves away well, despite always checking over our collie after a trip out on the hill.

It really looks like it's going to be a bad year for them. Even walking Sammy along the lochside (where he wanders through the grass verges), he's picking up ticks. Out on the hill, we both come back with ticks on us. Listening to local knowledge, a good part of the problem up here is the deer population is relatively large, but the sheep, which "hoovered" up the ticks and stopped so many getting on humans, are no longer farmed so the problem is exacerbated.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Ticks require a high humidity (>90%) to survive off a host so are not likely to set up an infestation in the home (although there are reports of Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Brown Dog Tick) infesting homes in the US. The most common tick to attach to people and pets in the UK is Ixodes Ricinus. They mate on the host (be that farm animal, hedgehog, dog, you) and then the female stays attached to suck blood before laying eggs up to 14 days later. Chances are you would spot this female before she laid any eggs anyway so you won't have an issue with them in the home.
    We've been looking into what's best to repel them. They are belligerent blighters as everyone knows and our standard pet products (Fipronil and imidacloprid based) don't always seem to repel them. Seems DEET on the legs is the best thing (although OK for us we don't recommend this on pets).
    In the vet world we have a real worry about the introduction of more exotic tick species due to relaxation of the PET travel scheme. If travelling abroad vets still recommend tick treatment and you should always carefully check your dog before coming back to the UK. A recent random study of pet dogs showed that 15% of them were carrying attached ticks without their owners' knowledge!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    That's interesting info brummievet. In terms of repelling them on humans, I think IDP has the right idea, it needs some form of barrier and, to some extent at least, it doesn't seem to matter what it is. I've even found suncream has some effect.

I'm not surprised that 15% of dogs carry ticks without their owners' knowledge - a lot of people still aren't fully aware of the risk and prevalence of ticks plus they do seem to hide themselves away well, despite always checking over our collie after a trip out on the hill.

It really looks like it's going to be a bad year for them. Even walking Sammy along the lochside (where he wanders through the grass verges), he's picking up ticks. Out on the hill, we both come back with ticks on us. Listening to local knowledge, a good part of the problem up here is the deer population is relatively large, but the sheep, which "hoovered" up the ticks and stopped so many getting on humans, are no longer farmed so the problem is exacerbated.
    Thanks Brummievet, I feel a little happier.

one wonders if we will see an epidemic of lymes, I saw more ticks in 30 minutes on Thursday than I have the rest of my life. every one I speak to says there is a huge increase this year. Midges will be terrible also. I don't envy your loch side walks Richard...

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    one wonders if we will see an epidemic of lymes,
    Well, of course, the southern-biased media doesn't pick up on this as a problem but, since moving up here a few years ago, I've been astonished by the number of people I've met who have had Lyme (no "s" IDP!) disease and whose lives have been significantly affected. And it is getting worse, whether that's because of climatic conditions or recognition of the disease, I'm not sure.

I don't envy your loch side walks Richard...
    Yes you do, you know you do! :-) This morning's stroll in the pouring rain included a couple of mating herons on the shore, a few oystercatchers dive-bombing us (I'm guessing we were close to their young) and a cormorant fishing. Ticks can't spoil that!

blog

Thanks Brummievet, I feel a little happier.

one wonders if we will see an epidemic of lymes, I saw more ticks in 30 minutes on Thursday than I have the rest of my life. every one I speak to says there is a huge increase this year. Midges will be terrible also. I don't envy your loch side walks Richard...
    We will see tick numbers keep rising. This year will be a bumper year for them given the mild winter. Can only follow that number of tick attachments will increase so secondary disease will increase. It's a worry for us vets as much for ourselves as for the animals! For animal impact look up Babesiosis in cattle. Cases of babesiosis in man will also likely go up.

Brummievet, is there anything I can do to stop my cat from getting Lyme disease? I have removed several ticks from her the last couple of days, as well as two from myself, just from being in my back garden :-o

I suffer with Lyme & co as I call it, the 3 bad B's: Borelia, Babesia and Bartonella and according to the Id consultant also Ehrlichia. Still very much affected but slowly slowly getting better.

Paranoid about getting bitten again and also anxious about my little cat and what would hapen to her if she gets infected?
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Brummievet, is there anything I can do to stop my cat from getting Lyme disease? I have removed several ticks from her the last couple of days, as well as two from myself, just from being in my back garden :-o

I suffer with Lyme & co as I call it, the 3 bad B's: Borelia, Babesia and Bartonella and according to the Id consultant also Ehrlichia. Still very much affected but slowly slowly getting better.

Paranoid about getting bitten again and also anxious about my little cat and what would hapen to her if she gets infected?
    Lyme disease in cats is historically rare in the UK, but cases will probably increase. However, studies have shown that cats seem to be more resistant to Borrelia than us people, due to a better initial antibody response. Therefore, even in tick endemic areas where Lyme disease is present in man, canines and horses, the incidence of disease in cats is much lower.
    The common signs of the disease that are seen in people are hard to spot in cats because they are so good at hiding illnesses! However, you know your own cat so if she seemed to go 'off colour' I would definitely mention to your vet that you have removed ticks. Cats can present with recurrent temperatures, stiffness, lameness and general anorexia. It can be treated with antibiotics if infection is found. I'd say if you have a worry about your cat (if she's seeming poorly) then visit your vet and mention that you have found ticks on her.
    From a prevention point of view, Fipronil based products (e.g. Frontline) have some preventative action against ticks, but I have found a large burden of ticks can overcome this action. One of colleagues has been raving about Seresto collars:

http://www.seresto.com/en/seresto-fo...hat-is-seresto

These have a long length of action and are now regularly recommended for animals travelling to Europe.

The clinically proven best way to remove ticks is with the O-Tom tick removers:

http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

Hope this helps and hope you get better quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Well, of course, the southern-biased media doesn't pick up on this as a problem but!
    Have you lived there long enough to develop a chip on that shoulder? :-)

Lyme disease is a rife in NE USA and it still gets ignored by the press. Plenty of Scottish press is based in Scotland, hence why you the back pages are full of the dross standard of football and not the world's best league a few hundred miles away..

95% of all US cases occur in the NE/Midwest and there's not much to be done...

Get ticks off quick, check yourself after runs/hikes, watch out for a rash.. and know the other symptoms if you do get ill.

But press wise it gets ignored.

But winter wise, we've just had one of the snowiest winters on record and it seems the tick population is no different size wise than after a mild winter.

Its a medical issue more than for the public after you've got it, Dr's not picking it up, but over here, in the NE, most if not all will be very aware of it and any condition which has lyme like symptons Lyme will be suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Have you lived there long enough to develop a chip on that shoulder? :-).

People here think I'm a well-balanced individual........I've got a chip on BOTH shoulders

blog

Thanks for that, I am a little less worried now. I used a tick twister to get the ticks out and checked the heads were removed as well. I use these on myself as well...

She also gets her monthly spot on Advocate, which I get from the vet. I am just worried that she may get infected, as she gets bitten and I have Lyme myself, so allthough I don't know where I caught it, it could well be here! Ticks are everywhere, even in my back garden! and I have a bit fo woodland behind the house where she loves hanging out. Sheep, rats and rabbits and voles and moce are everywhere.

Lyme disease in cats is historically rare in the UK, but cases will probably increase. However, studies have shown that cats seem to be more resistant to Borrelia than us people, due to a better initial antibody response. Therefore, even in tick endemic areas where Lyme disease is present in man, canines and horses, the incidence of disease in cats is much lower.
    The common signs of the disease that are seen in people are hard to spot in cats because they are so good at hiding illnesses! However, you know your own cat so if she seemed to go 'off colour' I would definitely mention to your vet that you have removed ticks. Cats can present with recurrent temperatures, stiffness, lameness and general anorexia. It can be treated with antibiotics if infection is found. I'd say if you have a worry about your cat (if she's seeming poorly) then visit your vet and mention that you have found ticks on her.
    From a prevention point of view, Fipronil based products (e.g. Frontline) have some preventative action against ticks, but I have found a large burden of ticks can overcome this action. One of colleagues has been raving about Seresto collars:

http://www.seresto.com/en/seresto-fo...hat-is-seresto

These have a long length of action and are now regularly recommended for animals travelling to Europe.

The clinically proven best way to remove ticks is with the O-Tom tick removers:

http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

Hope this helps and hope you get better quickly.
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    She also gets her monthly spot on Advocate, which I get from the vet
    Advocate, whilst a good all round worm, flea and mite prevention, has no action against ticks. You might want to consider a different critter control protocol if ticks are such a problem by you. Fipronil based products will work v ticks and treat fleas.