Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lords rake v foxes tarn

Lords rake v foxes tarn

Broad stand seams a bit dodgy to me , especially if wet. Of the alternatives, lords rake and foxes tarn, which would you recommend? Cheers Phil

Hello. Have a look here.

Quote Originally Posted by Feet in the Cowclaps View Post
    Hello. Have a look here.
    Phew that was close I had the feeling we were going to have to go through it all again....

Quote Originally Posted by Feet in the Cowclaps View Post
    Hello. Have a look here.
    Ha, I've changed my mind since that thread. I think I prefer Lord's Rake and the West Wall Traverse now over Foxes Tarn. I doubt that there's much in it from a time point of view but Lord's Rake is just more fun

I reckon a lot of the variations on the BG route are neither here nor there time-wise in the grand scheme of things, but that some people choose Foxes Tarn over Lords Rake/WWT always amazes me. Further to drop and further to climb, plus the slog up from the tarn itself is a grim old do. LR/WWT every time for me.
    Geoff Clarke

"I reckon a lot of the variations on the BG route are neither here nor there time-wise in the grand scheme of things, but that some people choose Foxes Tarn over Lords Rake/WWT always amazes me. Further to drop and further to climb, plus the slog up from the tarn itself is a grim old do. LR/WWT every time for me."

Bit of an odd comment... yes its longer but a few minutes.. if its wet, or you aren't a scrambler/climber.. just drop down and back up.. if you are fit then time isn't really an issue.. the stress building up to doing the climbs if not comfortable negate any benefits..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Bit of an odd comment... yes its longer but a few minutes.. if its wet, or you aren't a scrambler/climber.. just drop down and back up.. if you are fit then time isn't really an issue.. the stress building up to doing the climbs if not comfortable negate any benefits..
    You really don't need to be anything like a climber to tackle LR/WWT and it's hardly a scramble. A wee bit on the exit to the summit area maybe, but it's not exposed at all up there and dead easy. There's as much "scramble" on the climb up to Foxes Tarn and it's very greasy in the wet.
    Geoff Clarke

A few years ago there was some serious rockfall in Lord's Rake so the the only real alternative to Broad Stand until it settled down was Foxes Tarn. I've not seen anything recently about the landslip above the start of West Wall Traverse, possibly it's settled down for now.

On a similar note: has anyone gone directly up to the ridge of Scafell from Foxes Tarn rather than bearing right and going up the scree/steps? By this I mean you keep to the left of the tarn and head up the grassy slopes directly ahead:
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1329941
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/893080
    Though I'm not sure if it would be any quicker than going via the screes.

On the other side of Mickledore: has anyone found a better, i.e. not as rocky, line between Scafell Pike and Mickledore? I've never been off the beaten path except when doing the Borrowdale fell race. I get the feeling that it's all much of a muchness and is just a boulder field.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

On the other side of Mickledore: has anyone found a better, i.e. not as rocky, line between Scafell Pike and Mickledore? I've never been off the beaten path except when doing the Borrowdale fell race. I get the feeling that it's all much of a muchness and is just a boulder field.
    On my (successful) BG, Always Injured wanted to get further to our right when coming off Scafell Pike because it was grassier but, from what I could see, we'd have had to vere right and cross a shed load of boulders to get to that grassier line and what we'd have gained on the swings we'd have lost on the roundabouts. That said Bob (big accusing finger pointing at you ) I lost 5 minutes against my Bob Wightman scheduled time on the Scafell Pike to Scafell section!

Hank I've done most of the different ways.. you may not think so.. some people, some runners, have no head for heights at all..

It will be too much.. look at the great lakes run? TBH I'm fairly certain I could go between the two scafells down and up than many taking the scrambles...

Also I would MUCH prefer to go around than use a rope.. for me a rope from above is aid.. its a personal choice.. if people use a rope fine, but for me it would be solo or around...