Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fellrunner Magazine

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    here we go again!
    let's try and keep posts relevant to The Fellrunner magazine shall we?

I thought it was a great issue. Loved the interview with three top Yorkshire athletes (no sexism here) and as ever find myself trawling through the results write ups & photos for mentions of club and friends.

Great work in production.
    Mine were direct comment to the chairs and secretaries statements, and the disjunction between what they say and reality. They are Pretty much the first things in the magazine, not that I suspect many read them.
    (pretty much the last things I read on level of interest / disillusionment)

I vote get rid of those statements from future editions. Then nobody can contest what they say: and you get to the meat of the magazine quicker, save a couple of pages of production costs! Everybody wins.

And also allow people like me to write articles on such as safety, (or relevant areas in which others have expertise) presently banned by passive censorship: uncomfortable reading, but actually true.
    Ask FR-ED what he said when I asked. It was No. The fascinating issue was his reasoning. Not willing to take "sides" he said (AKA no platform for opposing views, since he happily always publishes theirs uncontested!). Not that the articles I had in mind were in any way contentious

But now, frankly, I would not even write them even if paid to do it: Goodwill evaporated a long time ago, because of mindless decisions such as FR-EDs in that case. One more bad decision in a history of them.

Bravo for the rest of the magazine though FR-ED. It is just the bit at the front let it down.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 25-07-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FR-ED View Post
    thanks Jimmy, that's just about how I felt and Graham is not wrong.

I'd like to run a similar feature each issue so open to suggestions.

I'm a sucker for the historical stuff Richard! Rest of the magazine's really good too, mind.

Looking at that great photo from the Bill Smith supplement, the one of Eric Beard, Alan Heaton etc. in the Fred Rogerson appreciation; I started running & climbing at the same time in the very early '80s, and and first heard of 'Beardie' in Dennis Gray's "Rope Boy" which I must've read a hundred times! Fantastic evocative memoir of the early "Rock& Ice" days with Brown & Whillans et.al. One of the standout characters was Eric Beard, and I'd love to know more about him - a fantastically talented runner (and alpinist, too).

I've an idea there may have been a previous profile of him in an older edition of the magazine, but I don't know which one.

Could be wrong about there being a previous piece...but if there's one character I'd like to see something about, it's Beardie!

Cheers,

Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    Too true Mr B

Reading the chairs report for one, the word that screams out in my mind is "mimophant"

Had they ever even attempted to curb rudeness from top brass, and had they even attempted the things the chair and the secretary say they already do in reports, we would never have got to where we are. It would never have surfaced as bad blood on the forum.
    I actually quite resent the chair ringfencing the membership into two groups; one who don't question the committee and don't go near the forum, and presumably a second who do the opposite. This suggestion was preceded by news that the committee have been recieving abusive correspondance from the membership, which is also uncalled-for. The whole episode is very regrettable.

Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    I'm a sucker for the historical stuff Richard! Rest of the magazine's really good too, mind.

Looking at that great photo from the Bill Smith supplement, the one of Eric Beard, Alan Heaton etc. in the Fred Rogerson appreciation; I started running & climbing at the same time in the very early '80s, and and first heard of 'Beardie' in Dennis Gray's "Rope Boy" which I must've read a hundred times! Fantastic evocative memoir of the early "Rock& Ice" days with Brown & Whillans et.al. !

Cheers,

Jim.
    I use to train with Dennis on the Henry Price wall when I was a student. EB super gratton shoes...hardcore then Fires? came in and made climbing so much easier

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I use to train with Dennis on the Henry Price wall when I was a student. EB super gratton shoes...hardcore then Fires? came in and made climbing so much easier

Yep, Fires were a revolution! My first boots were terrible EB's too. I think Dennis is still going strong isn't he? What a character...some interesting tales there

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I actually quite resent the chair ringfencing the membership into two groups; one who don't question the committee and don't go near the forum, and presumably a second who do the opposite. This suggestion was preceded by news that the committee have been recieving abusive correspondance from the membership, which is also uncalled-for. The whole episode is very regrettable.

Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)

I think that, too, Luke.

I am dismayed to find the Chair doing so little to pull the whole membership together and seeming to prefer to try to alienate those who disagree with some of the decisions made by the Committee.

Disappointingly it seems like more of the same old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by IWCharters View Post
    I think that, too, Luke.

I am dismayed to find the Chair doing so little to pull the whole membership together and seeming to prefer to try to alienate those who disagree with some of the decisions made by the Committee.

Disappointingly it seems like more of the same old stuff.
    Agreed
    With AL launching long posts from the forum and the comity mounting incursions from the Fellrunner and sending in the sock puppets. This can only get worse

Surely it is time for a ceasefire( I am being serious about the ceasefire)

Super Moderator
    Was it always who started using the expression 'sock puppet' on this forum? Splendid work whoever it was
    Poacher turned game-keeper

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    Agreed
    With AL launching long posts from the forum and the comity mounting incursions from the Fellrunner and sending in the sock puppets. This can only get worse

Surely it is time for a ceasefire( I am being serious about the ceasefire)
    There was never a need for fire.

A legacy of bad decisions made for all the wrong reasons.

From the wrong person drafting rules a year ago, who did not even know what the words mean, but refused to acknowledge that.
    The failure to consult before imposing them,
    To the steadfast refusal to arrange discussions with those whose opinions were clearly different,
    ( and with the professional knowledge to say so) and the refusal to acknowledge concerns of the most affected RO like Wynn.
    Then a determination to hang on to them , to avoid admitting the need for change,
    Subverting every proper process to avoid acknowledging need for review
    Documents sent, never even read.
    Having meetings about " implementation" so nobody was allowed to challenge rules themselves
    even now they hang on to the stupid myth, that the redraft is the same but more concise - in reality all different.
    Systematic rudeness with sock puppets to all who challenged.
    What they did to Andy walmsley was unforgivable.

It really pisses me off the extent to which people like me have had to act out of character just to keep, the issues alive. I am owed an apology but won't hold my breath.

I would much have preferred to have meetings behind the scenes to solve it, with the need for change a given, presentations offered Never taken up.

Hats off to Andy Watts for cutting through the bullshit of " no review needed" to produce something 100 times better, but still with significant flaws. I hope they don't adopt them until the problems are resolved, but I expect they will, to avoid being seen to take advice from me. At least they now acknowledge the need for such as planning, but not done in the right way.

In the end the problem is not a ceasefire, it is the wrong people leading FRA.

With right people ( like Andy watts ) leading it would have never even hit the news, solved quietly and professionally, and I firmly believe until we are rid of Watson and breeze the festering sores will remain. They had every chance and muffed it.

I have never even been asked " what I think" ( speaking as a professional) the closest was " what I think of what they think", not the same question at all.

So don't ask me why they never invited us in in a meaningful way, ask them.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 26-07-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Was it always who started using the expression 'sock puppet' on this forum? Splendid work whoever it was
    I think it was Noel. It's got a ring to it hasn't it? Much better than 'alter ego'.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent