Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Vans for runners

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    When I first got a Skoda Roomster I found this...
    http://www.swissroombox.com/swissroombox-movie.html
    probably not what you are looking for, but fun anyway...
    Loved the videos...my life would obviously be perfect and idyllic if i have one of those.

Sadly over-budget at 2,000 euros for the cheapest version, but maybe I could knock up something similar in the shed?

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    Loved the videos...my life would obviously be perfect and idyllic if i have one of those.

Sadly over-budget at 2,000 euros for the cheapest version, but maybe I could knock up something similar in the shed?
    Ha ha 'perfect couple' on that video eh! Nice little dream run a round there
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    When I first got a Skoda Roomster I found this...
    http://www.swissroombox.com/swissroombox-movie.html
    probably not what you are looking for, but fun anyway...
    Checkout http://www.amdro.co.uk for a similar "lift-in / lift-out" unit to go in a Berlingo / Partner or http://www.errigalcampers.ie for a similar unit in a Caddy Maxi. Steve at Errigal did his "Pullman" style conversion on my T5 and I love it.
    My one criticism of the swissroombox shown in the Honda is that being well up above the vehicle's floor level, it does not appear to give you much sitting-up room when in bed.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post

Not the Swissbox making their lives idyllic, Skoda Roomster! I did thinking of how to get a box in the boot to fold out to a double bed, then pop thermarests on top. Maybe get the kitchen sorted first...

At work we are given (for a year at a time) Skodas by a local dealership. I must say they are very sorted cars, we had a Yeti last year and it was superb. Very handy for events for load hauling and getting out if wet grassy/muddy car parks. I'm slightly less enthusiastic about the Spaceback Rapid we have this year. But it's still a very sorted car, just not quite as useful for work.
    pies

And on this front, ended up with a SWB Medium Roof 2011 Transit with 12k on the clock.

The previous owner seems to have been an artist that just occasionally drove to nice spots, set up the Fammia Awning, and painted. Little bit worried it's not done enough miles but it runs and drives very very well.
    pies

Huh, I’d forgotten about this thread.

We ended up getting the van converted professionally earlier this year at Mill Garage in Duns (recommendation btw)

From the base vehicle we have;

Sliding door fixed privacy glass
    Opposite side fixed privacy glass
    Roof vent
    Lining/insulation
    Webasto diesel heater
    3 LED strip lights
    One removable platform bed fitted high enough that bikes fit underneath. This sits on triple extending runners so the bed extends out to roughly Super King size.
    No leisure battery!

Fully packed we’ve managed to get, two people, one dog, two bikes, one click together kayak, and a weeks worth of kit all packed inside a SWB vehicle.

It is in no way as comfortable as a full conversion. But as a daily van and occasional weekender it’s brilliant for us. We really wanted to retain the full load space so the sacrifice of the “home away from home” option was well worth doing.
    pies

Banned
    Good hybrid car and a travel lodge discount card.

No use if there aren’t any Travelodges. There are two, and only one somewhere useful https://www.travelodge.co.uk/explore_the_uk/

Similar story with the others.

No use if your taking two people, two bikes, one tandem kayak, and one dog, for over a week!

None of which is the point of course. The point is I have three large green totes downstairs packed full of useful camping and sleeping kit. So I can get home on Friday evening. Check the forecast. And immediately sod off to Torridon.

None of which means it makes financial sense of course. But I’m yet to meet anyone that bought a camper for that reason. They never make financial sense. But that’s not the point.

The real point is that you get to crap in a small hole in a commercial forestry plantation being eaten alive by midge.

No hang on, that’s not it either.....hold on....let me think about this......
    pies

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    In my experience, if you have to explain why you own a campervan then they probably won't understand.
    No it doesn't make financial sense - quite the opposite - but I can't imagine ever being without mine.
    2 weeks ago on a whim, threw my bike and some gear in the back on Friday lunchtime and hit the A5. Had a fabulous weekend in North Wales - one of many this year. Had a fantastic road trip around Scotland in the summer with probably some of the most spectacular wild camps I've ever had. Definitely not a Travelodge in sight (probably not even within 50 miles.)
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast