Thread: Breathing problems

Breathing problems

I had to pull out of the Stoop race the other day. I was getting increasingly short of breath and my heart rate went sky high. Stopped and then tried running again, but the same happened with a very tight chest. Walked about two miles back and felt ok walking.

Been to the doctors today and courtesy of the NHS had the full range of tests, blood, ECG, chest x ray, full exam. The doctor is a runner himself and described it as a significant event.

ECG was ok, waiting for chest x ray but exam was clear.

Never had anything like this before.

just wondering if anyone has had anything similar and what they did about running. The doc wasn't very specific about me running, with hindsight should have asked directly.

Got an entry for the ALS!

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    I had to pull out of the Stoop race the other day. I was getting increasingly short of breath and my heart rate went sky high. Stopped and then tried running again, but the same happened with a very tight chest. Walked about two miles back and felt ok walking.

Been to the doctors today and courtesy of the NHS had the full range of tests, blood, ECG, chest x ray, full exam. The doctor is a runner himself and described it as a significant event.

ECG was ok, waiting for chest x ray but exam was clear.

Never had anything like this before.

just wondering if anyone has had anything similar and what they did about running. The doc wasn't very specific about me running, with hindsight should have asked directly.

Got an entry for the ALS!
    Sorry to hear this Wycoller

Impossible to comment with any real answer. best to let the docs sort it but it possibly sound like AF which is common in older runners. could be plenty of other stuff too.

I'd wait on results first

Banned
    Hope your ok Wycoller, I walked a bit with you I had the 2 white lurches.

Thanks guys. Ian been reading the other thread for a while, hope you continue to improve.

i wasn't looking for a forum diagnosis, more whether/when to start running again. If it's a virus then I would go for a steady run locally, but if possible AF not sure whether that would be wise.

if you've not got any obvious signs of chest infection id say def a.f .get to the docs or a.e.taking 75m g of asprinwill do no harm.

Super Moderator
    I've had some kind of low-grade virus for a couple of months. I've not really had any cold symptoms but was very tired and achey for 2 weeks. I have been breathless though, which is alarming, especially at first. Doctor suggested time was the only healer
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Went for a short run today and breathing was OK. Hopefully just a virus that affected my breathing. Will wait to see what the chest x ray and blood test show. Also got a treadmill stress test in a few weeks.

Doing the ALS but will treat it as a training run and walk if neccesary.

Well did OK at the auld lang syne. Clearly a chest problem rather than heart problem. Thanks for everyone's concerns. Will finish the tests off though.

I have some breathing problem as i have Asthma. Sometimes, I caught cold and then I feel much bother. My father has also the same problem and I have got it from my father by genetics.

Last year the same thing happened to me. Really short of breath and had to have a nebuliser which was quite alarming. After a chest x ray and blue and brown inhalers it turned out to be the mother and father of a chest infection.
    Now after a run, whether in summer or winter I always get changed out of wet gear and into dry clothes. So far it's not happened again.