Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social media + fellrunnin

Social media + fellrunnin

Twice in recent days social media has proved more than useful for obtaining and passing on information about our sport. I'm not sure how others feel about it but Facebook, Twitter etc can prove to be a useful tool to quickly get information out there.
    Wansfell was called off and then rearranged for the next day, I found out about both on Twitter and as well as being on this Forum it was also on the Fra Facebook page. One tweet and it gets retweeted quickly reaching thousands of people in an instant. Our club has its own Facebook pages, one senior and one Junior as well as a Twitter account as do most clubs these days, useful tools for getting information out to club members as well as to other clubs and individuals.
    Our Whinberry Naze Dash results once produced were posted on FB and Twitter reaching a wide audience quickly.
    What do other forumites think ?

Banned
    Its a good call Lefty for sharing information as you describe above.

One must tread carefully though because what some people see as a joke other my find it offensive.

Like everything there is good and bad in all things.

I think having a fellrunning platform on all social media sites is invaluable. For instances such as Wansfell the information can reach many people quickly.

Technology can be fantastic, used well.
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Twitter good, even with some of the 'inspirational' quotes The FRA facebook page has become a bit too much and I've jumped ship.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Twitter good, even with some of the 'inspirational' quotes The FRA facebook page has become a bit too much and I've jumped ship.
    I think the fb page has the disadvantage from the forum in that all the posts are together and not categorized. You can pick and choose a little more on here what to look at!

I don't do Facebook or Twitter, no reason other than I can't really be arsed. However, I find this forum a brilliant why of finding last minute race alterations etc. Long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    I think the fb page has the disadvantage from the forum in that all the posts are together
    maybe something at the top pointing people towards this 'ere forum. There's quite a lot of people asking about 'where to find fell races'. You'd think google had never been invented...
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I use twitter mostly for work but originally I signed up as there were lots of fell folk tweeting great pics (Merrylegs) and blogs! I think it's great for sharing information - especially last minute as Lefty points out.
    I'm @LiviBF in twitter land - original I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Livi View Post
    I use twitter mostly for work but originally I signed up as there were lots of fell folk tweeting great pics (Merrylegs) and blogs! I think it's great for sharing information - especially last minute as Lefty points out.
    I'm @LiviBF in twitter land - original I know!
    Followed Livi! :P

I do get to see some great pics and hear of awesome running tales on the tweets!

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    I don't do Facebook or Twitter, no reason other than I can't really be arsed. However, I find this forum a brilliant why of finding last minute race alterations etc. Long may it continue.
    The one good difference between Twitter and Facebook is that you don't have to register to read stuff on Twitter, whereas with Facebook you have to be registered and logged in. Same with forums such as this, where you only have to register if you want to post, you don't if you're "Just a Lurker"...