Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Social media + fellrunnin

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    The one good difference between Twitter and Facebook is that you don't have to register to read stuff on Twitter, whereas with Facebook you have to be registered and logged in. Same with forums such as this, where you only have to register if you want to post, you don't if you're "Just a Lurker"...
    graffiti03_240415.jpg
    Lurkin' 9 - 5..
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    I don't do Facebook or Twitter, no reason other than I can't really be arsed. However, I find this forum a brilliant why of finding last minute race alterations etc. Long may it continue.
    Aye, my feelings exactly Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Aye, my feelings exactly Darren.
    I enjoy the forum. Of course it has it's negative aspects and my bug-bear are the ones who hide behind false names - (underline hide )
    Facebook has been really useful. A great way to promote events, whether a race, a recce or a training session. I find it almost invaluable. It's also fantastic for keeping up with family and friends who've moved away. I have an ex junior in Australia now, and some may know Lee Cook (Cheryl's lad) who's in New Zealand.
    Twitter - just starting to try and get my head around it now.

Google+ - I'm signed up, but I'm afraid I'm lost with this one. I haven't got a clue Do the FRA have a navigation course in Google+ ??

The good thing about twitter is that you can choose who or what you have on your feed or what you see ( although you may see other peoples stuff if one of your contacts retweets it ) with our club Twitter feed its mostly other clubs, Clayton, Todmorden, Helm Hill etc etc and other runners as well as people like Pete Bland Sports and Fellrunningbriefs which is a great up to date source of info for all things Fellrunning. You can post links to results, photos links to other sites etc etc and is very easy. Most people have Smartphones these days so its instant information. Its so easy to set up as well.
    I must admit I was a Twitter sceptic at first but admit now that its a useful tool for our club to send out and receive information.

Banned
    I've been asked on a job application if I use social media?

I said NO.

And then questioned, is our little forum social media?

I'm on Twitter but haven't visited the site/used the app in over two years. Never been on Facebook or even visited the site. Google+ - I signed up but it's always seemed a bit moribund and again haven't really used it. Basically I don't need to know that something's happened within 20 seconds of it happening and have several other methods of keeping in touch with people.

As noted, they are good for short notice updates. The downside is that if there's a lot going on then things can disappear from the first page or screen and you miss it. Items/posts aren't categorised (or if there's the facility to categorise a post with meta data then people don't do so). With forums it's a case of posting in the right sub-forums. Then again some forums have so many sub-forums and categories that you hardly know where to post in case the "regulars" come down on you like a ton of bricks!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

I said NO.

Stagger... for the purposes of your application, then no, this forum would not count as Social Media.

Whether forums actually are a form of social media is probably more difficult to say.

Where media is a medium of communication and social media is a medium of communication used socially, then...

I said NO.

Of course it is - sometimes anti-social media too :-) (though not so much of that, or anything really recently unfortunately....)

I saw a quote the other day that referred social media as "digital Maoism". I haven't quite worked out what that means!