Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Lakes Mountain 42

Master
    My photos here

Wasn't sure what to expect in terms of time, so set myself a cautious target of 15 hours. Was therefore pleased to finish in 12:36. We caught up with Nick at Helvellyn summit, but he'd clearly paced himself better as by the time we started the descent from Whiteside we caught see him disappearing round the corner in the bottom of the valley...

Nice photos Simon. Thanks for sharing. They bring it all flooding back. I don't recall anyone catching me on Helvellyn summit but there again it was like Piccadilly Circus up there and I can be unobservant at times. I'm surprised you didn't overtake me when I was having a chinwag with Garry Scott on the way off Helvellyn.

Master
    I think it was Helvellyn - the one with the broken punch? You were leaving as we arrived so may not have noticed me

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I think it was Helvellyn - the one with the broken punch?
    That was Helvellyn alright. At least it still had its punch even if it was just remains.

So having a look at this couple of quick questions

1- how complex/easy is the navigation
    2 - can you pick you own route or is it an established one
    3 - how much food/water is availabl on the way round

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    So having a look at this couple of quick questions

1- how complex/easy is the navigation
    2 - can you pick you own route or is it an established one
    3 - how much food/water is availabl on the way round
    1 - its a pretty easy route to get to grips with generally. It's mostly on good footpaths. May be slightly tricky picking the best path up onto Loadpot Hill at the start, if in poor weather and unfamiliar with the route, but other than that, if you're a competent fellrunner (whatever that means!) then it's nothing out of the ordinary for navigation.

2 - you can pick your own route between checkpoints, but there's little scope really for going off the 'established' route. Picking a good line onto Loadpot Hill/High Street, then down from Grisedale Tarn to the car park at thirlmere, and how you negotiate your way on and off Place Fell are probably the only areas where different lines could come into play.

3 - Plenty of water available to fill your bottles. Food is plentiful... bits of cake, chocolate bars, savoury stuff, tea & coffee. But probably need something more substantial, it's a long way! The stocked checkpoints are at Patterdale outbound (15 miles), Thirlmere car park, Patterdale inbound (30ish miles)... you also go past Glenridding shop, and the inn at Howtown is only a couple of hundred yards off route.

It's a fantastic race. Keep an eye on entry numbers as there's around a 100 limit and it's in the Runfurther series again this year, so will probably end up full. The views are unbelieveable... particularly on a clear morning from the High Street range over towards Helvellyn.
    Last edited by Travs; 06-12-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    1 - its a pretty easy route to get to grips with generally. It's mostly on good footpaths. May be slightly tricky picking the best path up onto Loadpot Hill at the start, if in poor weather and unfamiliar with the route, but other than that, if you're a competent fellrunner (whatever that means!) then it's nothing out of the ordinary for navigation.

2 - you can pick your own route between checkpoints, but there's little scope really for going off the 'established' route. Picking a good line onto Loadpot Hill/High Street, then down from Grisedale Tarn to the car park at thirlmere, and how you negotiate your way on and off Place Fell are probably the only areas where different lines could come into play.

3 - Plenty of water available to fill your bottles. Food is plentiful... bits of cake, chocolate bars, savoury stuff, tea & coffee. But probably need something more substantial, it's a long way! The stocked checkpoints are at Patterdale outbound (15 miles), Thirlmere car park, Patterdale inbound (30ish miles)... you also go past Glenridding shop, and the inn at Howtown is only a couple of hundred yards off route.

It's a fantastic race. Keep an eye on entry numbers as there's around a 100 limit and it's in the Runfurther series again this year, so will probably end up full. The views are unbelieveable... particularly on a clear morning from the High Street range over towards Helvellyn.
    Brilliant thankyou for that - thats me sold. Just need to work out where to camp/campervan the night before and I'm away!

Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior View Post
    Brilliant thankyou for that - thats me sold. Just need to work out where to camp/campervan the night before and I'm away!
    You can sleep in the village hall at Askham, possibly even able to park up your camper van in the car park as well. I'm a bit softer and usually go for the comfy b&b in Penrith!

Does anybody have any idea whether the race is likely to be impacted by the recent weather? The Weatherline website advises axes & crampons above 650m & doesn't suggest that a sudden thaw is likely to happen anytime soon.

Master
    Email the organisers?