Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakes Mountain 42

Final recce went well in mild conditions except for snow on High Street and High Raise. Did the direct route on Place Fell as it was such a good day-it took 34 minutes from Side Farm to the trig point on relatively fresh legs. Am just wondering whether on race day though with Helvellyn in my legs whether this slog is worth it to save 10-15 minutes by cutting out Boredale Hause? For the elite athletes, that saving might be important, for a middle of the pack guy like myself, not so sure.....

Interested to hear any other views

Colin

Colin - as one of the back markers, who will be on my last legs by then I may take the direct route from Side farm in a "C'mon Place fell" show me what you got sense of the phrase.
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhar View Post
    Colin - as one of the back markers, who will be on my last legs by then I may take the direct route from Side farm in a "C'mon Place fell" show me what you got sense of the phrase.
    With you there Manhar!

Recce'd a week or two ago, and it is a bit of a beast. Didn't feel top drawer and now I know why...have a bloomin' awful cold and now perforated an eardrum.

Hopefully be settled by the day...going up the afternoon before and have a quick look at the first / last few miles.

It's all BG training, and that has taken a hit as a result of this cold.

See you there
    Last edited by lantern rouge; 27-03-2014 at 09:56 PM.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Manhar/L Rouge

Thanks for replying- that's what I so love about these ultra mountain events-the sheer bloody mindedness in the face of overwhelming odds! If my legs are up to it after returning from Helvellyn, I would be most delighted to have some company and fellow sufferers slogging our way up that bloody steep grassy hill.....

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Bergwanderer View Post
    Manhar/L Rouge

Thanks for replying- that's what I so love about these ultra mountain events-the sheer bloody mindedness in the face of overwhelming odds! If my legs are up to it after returning from Helvellyn, I would be most delighted to have some company and fellow sufferers slogging our way up that bloody steep grassy hill.....

Colin
    Hi Colin,

Sorry to say, I won't be there...just pulled out due to illness. Seriously frustrated...really,really seriously frustrated, as it is a great route, but to have a go anyhow would probably drag out my illness and jeopardise my BG plans. Besides, you can't expect others to bail you out when you have DNF an event you knew you probably weren't well enough to finish.

Have a good 'un folks, and be sure to report on here.

I'll go up in a week or two and trot round on my own once this is sorted.

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by Manhar View Post
    Colin - as one of the back markers, who will be on my last legs by in time...hen I may take the direct route from Side farm in a "C'mon Place fell" show me what you got sense of the phrase.
    You won't be alone at the back of the pack! If the direct route means getting to the pub....
    Probably on my knees by then.

Bergwanderer - if you can get up Place Fell in 34mins then you won't be near the back (I took more like 45mins)

my fitness is as good as it's ever been (just realised that I've done a long fell run of at least 20M in 7 of the last 8 weeks) so really looking forward to this now...

Manhar - see you there!

lantern - sorry you can't make it - hope you can get your BG training back on track asap
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Thanks guys for your views- really looking forward to Saturday now and just hoping weather stays pretty much as is now....

Daz- no way will it be 34 minutes on Saturday with trashed legs and OD'ed on Jelly Babies!

Lantern Rouge- sorry you're not going to make it- hope you're back on the fells soonest. When are you planning your BGR? I was going to see how I went on Saturday and then maybe consider a go at a BGR. I've run all the legs individually if you fancy a recce sometime?

Colin

Is it to early to start Carbo loading ? Will be good to see you Daz, sorry you won't be there Lantern.

Think we'll have to invoke that well known rule - 1st one back get's the beers in - just in case anyone is thinking of having a sudden injection of pace after the penultimate checkpoint....
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergwanderer View Post
    Thanks guys for your views- really looking forward to Saturday now and just hoping weather stays pretty much as is now....

Daz- no way will it be 34 minutes on Saturday with trashed legs and OD'ed on Jelly Babies!

Lantern Rouge- sorry you're not going to make it- hope you're back on the fells soonest. When are you planning your BGR? I was going to see how I went on Saturday and then maybe consider a go at a BGR. I've run all the legs individually if you fancy a recce sometime?

Colin
    Date set for 18.30 on Friday 20th June; clockwise; 23+ hour schedule.

Top drawer support in place; thanks everyone, you know who you are.

Next event, Calderdale Hike on 12th April, provided this chest has settled down. Navigation a bit of a challenge, but I did it last year, so hopefully the memory won't let me down...

After that, looking at the calendar for a slot to walk / trot the route over two days sometime in May.... (Legs 4,5 &1, followed by Legs 2 & 3).

Meantime, try and keep at 10,000' a week and get big days in each week.

I'll look at the calendar today and make a few plans.

Simon Cartledge