Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakes Mountain 42

finished most of the packing last night
    driving up this evening - should get to Askham about 9pm - may slope off into the pub for a small soft drink
    then bed down in the hall ready for porridge at 5am
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Have a good 'un, Daz. Same goes to everybody else. I wish I was joining you up there in Tour de Helvellyn land.

Got the afternoon of so starting to carbo load before a quick nap. Was nervous yesterday & my left leg felt like lead but am in a zen like state today so looking forward to it. I'll be the one with 14 qtrs of cheese n onion sandwhiches-so if youre feeling peckish / desparate I'm your man.

See you in the morning folks.
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

see you up there Daz, I should arrive around the same time. Unfortuantely I cannot have our camper van as it is needed for Si at an orienteering event tomorrow so I too will be on the floor.

Got home late last night, getting out of the car was interesting! What a day, as for the weather enough said.More importantly, a big well done to Joe and his team for all the hard work.Nice cup of tea from the ladies at Wythburn.Did anyone see the families in distress on Place Fell, they declined help but then asked for the way to Patterdale!The two wee girls looked very distressed/hypothermic.
    Fellsman next!

Well I for one am still buzzing after getting round my longest event to date unscathed & compos mentis. Did wonder at 1 point going up to Grisedale tarn if I'd put too much effort in the 1st half as I saw 1 of faster club mates just ahead. Enjoyed most of the route, apart from the top of Helvellyn - was glad when we dropped down of White side. Almost wished I'd put more of an effort in the last few miles.

Thank you to all at Nav 4, especially Stuart, who seemed to be here,there & everywhere and to my fellow "pack" runners for looking out for each other on the aforementioned hairy bits.

Daz & I came across the 2 families dropping down of Place fell - the youngsters were not having a good day at all, unlike 1 youngster who was fully waterproofed going down to Wythburn I saw.

Getting out of the car after the 2 hr drive home was probably the hardest part of the day.
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

Well that was epic, wasn't it!?
    My fitness is good atm, so this would've been magnificently enjoyable if it hadn't been for the pesky weather
    instead it turned into more of a "challenge met and achieved" kind of enjoyment
    not sure how much "sleep" I got on the hall floor, but it was at least "rest", so set off feeling fine
    early intro to the day's conditions on the final approach to High Street
    so nicely soaked on first arrival at Side Farm
    pushed back up into surprisingly bad conditions at Grisedale Tarn, which heralded first navigational cock-up of the day with nearly a full circuit of the tarn!
    lost about 20mins but eventually found Raise Beck and down to Wythburn, where nice man told us all about the "testing" conditions on Helvellyn and suggested we don every bit of kit we weren't already wearing!
    only good thing is that the wind was mainly from behind
    while clipping at the trig, met group of 4 walkers (German I think) asking "Is this Helvellyn?" and "Which way is Dollywagon" - didn't envy them that section into the wind/rain
    2nd slight nav error missing turn for Lower Man, met Manhar, couple of Macc lasses and few other lost souls and a group of us stuck together til we found White Side CP and started the luvverly drop out of the worst of it into the valley down to Glenridding and on to the haven of Side Farm again
    Manhar & I paired up for the final section, in the warm knowledge that we would be getting our names in the results, and set out up Place Fell (non-direct route!)
    astonished to encounter the two families on the top asking the way/how long to Patterdale - really hope the young girl who was crying at that point was OK
    took it slow in the clag over Hart Crag making sure we found the right way, then put map away for the run down to Boredale/Matterdale and in
    just to take the p!ss, the sky cleared to blue and we were dazzled with some astonishing rainbows after Howtown
    Manhar then left me for dead trying to keep up with the speedy-finishing Macc lasses, as they all put 5 minutes into me over the last 45 mins
    had been hoping for 12 hours, and considering 30mins "misplaced" and 20mins at road stops , quite pleased with 12:54 in the end
    soup/bread/tea/cake very welcome
    worst bit of the day was getting out of the car at motorway services to go for wee/get coffee, when I realised just how horrifically my lycra shorts had chafed - my "John Wayne walk" no doubt appearing hilarious to anyone who has never actually suffered this fate
    Many Thanks to Stuart and all other organisers/marshals etc
    Epic.

P.S. I'm wondering if I deserve a prize if, as I suspect, I was the only finisher to go the whole way round in shorts/without gloves?!
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 07-04-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Shorts would have left me in tears on Helvellyn. I did wear gloves but ad opted just to take my very thinnest so they were not really all that much use. Agree re the rainbow that I saw as I was driving home

Congratulations to all that finished this one, pulled out at side farm due to feelibg weaj and feeble and headed for Askham. Place fell a bit of a sting in the tail. The lack of visibility at High street was interesting. Ah well, first DNF in 2 years of running (

Just wanted to say big thanks to Joe for organising a cracking event. All four seasons in one day. Taking some of the fell running lines really saved me some large chunks of time. If you are a fell runner and want to do some ultras this has to be on your list.