Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam Bunny Bluff

Very helpful. Thanks Ed.
    My points of concern are indeed:
    1. The run out of Hay. Although Boy wonder thinks this may be OK.
    2. The descent into Capel Y ffin
    3. The crossing from Waun Fach to the north end of Grwyne reservoir and back up to the ridge for Rhos Dirion.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Another marshall with extremely good local knowledge checking in
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

The Cat's Back is an ace ridge. I have been toying with a summer series fell race starting in a friendly farmer's field, running straight up the side of Black Hill, then along that ridge, down to the car parking, then round on the birldeway and finish in the field again...

It is a great giggle riding down it on a cross or MTB as well... but you haven't heard I said that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
    Fair nuff.... might still have to recce that ridge now, got me intrigued! It's apparently known as the Cats Back, and is the highest point in England south of Yorkshire (or so the internet tells me)

http://breconbeacons.wordpress.com/2...the-cats-back/

I think the drop into Capel y Ffin may be difficult in terms of keeping out of farmers fields etc. I think I might be able to recce it on Monday. I'm going to suggest to Brendan that we do Capel y Ffin, Grwyne, Waun Fach, Rhos Dirion then back to Blacksmith's Anvil on Saturday. It's going to be very, very boggy....

Nice one!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Ever a sucker for punishment eh Ed! Sounds good, looking like it could well be frozen on the tops so we might be saved from some of the bogs from Rhos Dirion/BA/CyF.

Yep you know it mate! Should be a good run though, weather's looking grim but bearable. I'll give you a ring on Friday evening.

Stop complaining about the bogs guys, you have it easy, you are running through them! Try riding a bike up there at the moment

FYI Wheeze: fully 1st aid qualified and these days I am also a MTB and walk leader for my sins, in case you need a 1st aider somewhere for insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Stop complaining about the bogs guys, you have it easy, you are running through them! Try riding a bike up there
    Aye-it wouldn't be so bad if all the motorised traffic kept off it. Saw 4 guys on scramblers up that way a few months back, prats. They've made a nice big scar by dragging their back brakes down the side of Fan Llia as well, you can see it from miles off. Anyway, it's going to be nice and sloppy tomorrow so we should have a good time.

Hanneke, you are a star.
    This is shaping up.
    It will be helpful to have a first aid post at Capel Y ffin.
    Also, you could probably be much quicker setting and desetting the course along the ridge to Rhos Dirion and across to LHK on your bike than someone on foot.
    So far, the best bit about this has been the unsolicited offers of help. For those who do not already hold the honour, you will all be made Honorary Steam Bunnies. Honour Ceremony to be held at a hostelry of ill repute that evening!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth