Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Positives of veggies

Banned
    Get some steak down yer neck.

I hope that steak has some veg with it Stagger!

Back to the point, I believe that sweet potato and brown rice is a good after run meal to help aid recovery and in turn, help prevent injuries.
    My take on injury prevention on the food side of things is that your body will need more than a couple of veg portions a day to perform optimally and recover well. A healthy, balanced diet will provide all the building blocks your body will need. Eating well after a run is very important in allowing the muscles to recover.
    From my experience down the gym, after a workout it is recommended to have a protein shake of sorts straight after/within 20 mins and to eat a meal within the hour for best recovery. This is the general rule most folk I know stick to.
    Of course, smart training is also going to play a major part in injury prevention. I am guilty of occasionally doing too much at once and needing to take time off to recover instead of building it up gradually.

Personally I only eat fruits and vegetables, and stick to a high carb, low fat low protein plan. NO animal products whatsoever and this works very well for me. I train martial arts 4 or 5 times a week and run around 30 miles per week. It works very well for me.

A few thoughts for you
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    My 2 favourite things.. Eating and running!
    Same here. That's why I want to get into ultra-running. Competitive eating with some running breaks.

Veggie curry last night. There's definitely some negatives involved.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    Same here. That's why I want to get into ultra-running. Competitive eating with some running breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    You may be in for a bit of a shock then

1. I never feel hungry when I'm running, so I have to make myself eat.
    2. I can't digest anything more complicated than sugar when running, & the longer the run the worse it gets.
    3. I generally can't eat anything substantial for a while after finishing an ultra, sometimes not until the next day.

So... good luck with the ultras but don't expect it to turn into a gourmet-fest. By the way I hope you've entered the Vegan Welsh 3000s!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

There was something in last weekend's Guardian/Observer to do with different types of exercise making you hungry or not. I think it was to do with different hormones being released. Swimming was supposed to encourage the release of this 'hunger' hormone, but long-distance running doesn't. Apparently that's why you feel hungry after a swimming session but not after a long run. In theory inyway.

I have this book Complete Guide to Sports Nutrtion by Anita Bean - although its for all sports and is detailed the basis "science" behind it all does make sense and I find that in terms of when and what to eat it does ok. I dont eat much meat and I do suffer quite badly with runner's trots, although less so on the fells that the beastly roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    You may be in for a bit of a shock then

1. I never feel hungry when I'm running, so I have to make myself eat.
    2. I can't digest anything more complicated than sugar when running, & the longer the run the worse it gets.
    3. I generally can't eat anything substantial for a while after finishing an ultra, sometimes not until the next day.

So... good luck with the ultras but don't expect it to turn into a gourmet-fest. By the way I hope you've entered the Vegan Welsh 3000s!
    Thanks for the detailed reply but my comment was only in jest!

As for the VW3K it falls to close to my favourite race of the year just down t'road.

I think there's a Vegan English ultra this year by the same organizers.
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!