Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Leeds Clubs???

North Leeds Clubs???

Hi,

After doing a couple of fell races now. I think its time for me to join a club and do things properly.

I live in near Roundhay in Leeds. Anyone recommend a club or group of serious fell runners nearby?

Time to get a bit more serious (and get a flash vest! )

Banned

Re: North Leeds Clubs???

AJF Calder Valley is a fair club and you don't need to live on their doorstep.
    Tussockface from Baildon is a member there.
    Check out their website and just get to training runs when you can.
    Hope this helps
    Stagger

Chris

It's a good point Stagger. Someone on this forum goes on their bike from Leeds to run in Calderdale for Calder Valley. If he wasn't so lazy he'd bike a bit further and run for Todmorden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    AJF Calder Valley is a fair club and you don't need to live on their doorstep.
    Tussockface from Baildon is a member there.
    Check out their website and just get to training runs when you can.
    Hope this helps
    Stagger

Cool, Reckon I will pop down next week to the Crow hill race and have a chat with a few people.

Might also check out Otley AC as well? Their next race is over my usual training ground up and around Blubberhouse moors?

Are they fell specific? Also if anyone is from there when do they train?

Don't know about serious fell runners but Valley Striders is well placed for you. Meets at Old Leos , King Lane, Leeds 17 and has an organised training plan.

I can put you in touch if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybike View Post
    Don't know about serious fell runners but Valley Striders is well placed for you. Meets at Old Leos , King Lane, Leeds 17 and has an organised training plan.

I can put you in touch if interested.
    Been with them a few times on their long runs. Cannot remember if they are the Tues or Thurs ones? Like going out for their jogs but it seems to be all roads or up trails. Nearly joined but I know I want hills and fells type club as its soooooo much more fun.

Thanks for the offer though.

not quite north leeds, but theres pudsey and bramley, very fell orientated, valley striders have a few members that run/race on fells, otley has quite a few fell runners, andy (forgot surname) runs for them and hes quick and mainly a fell runner, but id go for abbey runners, they train around alwoodly/north leeds, usually meet up on a sun morn for a long run as well as meeting twice a week mid week and have quite a strong fell running contingent, race regularly, 3 peaks, edale skyline, ben nevis, plus local fell races, quite a big club, google and you should find them, a friend runs for them, good social side also

sorry just read your post properly, didnt realised youd ruled out valley striders, theres also fellandale, horsforth, but again not really north leeds, oh and theres ilkley, but thats quite a way from roundhay
    Last edited by egor; 22-07-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJF View Post
    Might also check out Otley AC as well? Their next race is over my usual training ground up and around Blubberhouse moors?

Are they fell specific? Also if anyone is from there when do they train?
    I wouldn't call Otley AC fell specific, but as egor says, they do have some fell runners and more will be welcome. Main club training is from Otley Rugby Club on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 19:15. http://www.otleyac.co.uk/

Most of the other relevant clubs have already been mentioned, but the nearest big fell clubs for you are probably Pudsey and Bramley, Ilkley, and Bingley.

Skyrac AC run from Guiseley/Rawdon and has more regular fell runners than, say, Valley Striders (which is a road club) and its £500,000 clubhouse is 20 minutes (?) from Roundhay in Nunroyd Park.

If I were not the ex-Chairman and a 20+ years member of Skyrac I would recommend Ilkley Harriers. Bingley and P&B are "better" fell clubs but a bit further away and you might not be able to keep up on training nights!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 22-07-2007 at 06:50 PM.