Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cape Wrath Ultra 250 mile

Cape Wrath Ultra 250 mile

Not one for me, but perhaps somebody on here will fancy it.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/201...pe-wrath-ultra
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

I'm mad, but I have my eye on that with a couple of other club mates

Super Moderator
    Looks a decent run out
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    Tis a cracking route but the cost of the race will count me out of entering,and yes it is a great run out with some fantastic rugged, remote terrain and is pretty challenging logistically as a solo outing, there is some pathless sections where nav is needed and some of the burns would be damned interesting in spate.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    but the cost of the race will count me out of entering,
    That's exactly what I've said to a couple of people who have talked about entering and asked if I would be. But, since it passes pretty much by my door, it's something I may look at trotting on my own at some point, if my lovely wife is happy to support me.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Master
    I'll likely be there. Though the number of people who've said the same, I think it might fill up pretty quickly - and I won't be around on the day that entries open!

I guess this will be a predominantly low level route?
    Many years ago, inspired by the antics of Ian Leighton (Holmfirth) & Robin Price (C-le-M), as reported in several editions of the FRM; I indulged in a mega session of map fondling and traced the N section of the W coast of Scotland watershed from Laggan Lochs on the Caledonian Canal to Cape Wrath. It followed some amazing ridges and evocative summits. The main problem was the logistics of re-supply, as even the few road-Xs were all miles from any communities that might have provided opportunities for shopping / re-supply. It would have required a week's tour in the car, burying food stashes.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

how much will the entry fee be? i couldn't see it listed, or are you going off the cost of the Dragon's Back race?

thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I read somewhere (maybe facebook) that it's in the region of 10,000m ascent, so around 1100m average each day. As each day averages 44km, I guess it'll be relatively flat.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Many years ago, inspired by the antics of Ian Leighton (Holmfirth) & Robin Price (C-le-M), as reported in several editions of the FRM; I indulged in a mega session of map fondling and traced the N section of the W coast of Scotland watershed from Laggan Lochs on the Caledonian Canal to Cape Wrath. It followed some amazing ridges and evocative summits. The main problem was the logistics of re-supply, as even the few road-Xs were all miles from any communities that might have provided opportunities for shopping / re-supply. It would have required a week's tour in the car, burying food stashes.
    Sounds like a cracking adventure WD, you had me scrambling for the maps to work out your route.

As for the "ultra", I think the route is roughly based on Cameron McNeish's "Cape Wrath Trail"? Predominantly "low level", although that does mean, of course, that you'll head over some wild ground and some high bealachs. Even in the early stages, you'll not see many folk down the Cona Glen and the pass over from Glenfinnan can be wild.

It'll be interesting to see where it starts....if they plan to use the published route, I'd better let Dougie on the Camusnagaul ferry know now, he'll need to plan some extra trips
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog