Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milk = Latic acid

Milk = Latic acid

Been told drinking milk contributes to the on set of latic acid, some thing to do with the lactose in the milk other than that this is all I know as ive not done any research into it as yet. does / has anyone else heard of this?
    I have semi skimmed on my cereal / porridge every morning but wouldn't know if it causes such issues.
    I believe Kenny Stuart only had black tea n toast for brekkie on race day and others along those similar lines.
    WOODZY.

Sounds kinda plausible, but no.

Milk contains lactose, a sugar, not lactate(lactic acid).
    Lactate is a breakdown and recycling part of the glucose -energy -glycogen cycle. The body uses it as a fuel, and for transport.
    Lactate is necessary during exercise, even obligatory.
    It has a bad reputation, which is largely wrong. It is not, usually, the problem people think it is
    Drink milk if you like, it will not(cannot) increase your propensity to make lactate in your muscles. The lactose in milk is not metabolised to lactate in your muscles
    If you train hard you will get better at making AND using lactate as a fuel.

Glucose 'burns' to lactate. Lactate can 'burn' as fuel, or be made back into glycogen 'store'
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

I'm lactate intolerant.

There is also the side issue as per Noels post. Cows milk is hard to digest in a human, it is after all designed for cows. I never have milk before a race as I get an upset stomach.

I don't drink cows milk at all. Makes me ill. Like Ian mentioned, it's designed for baby cows..
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    There is also the side issue as per Noels post. Cows milk is hard to digest in a human, it is after all designed for cows. I never have milk before a race as I get an upset stomach.
    Designed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ricepudding View Post
    Designed?
    Yes, by Kamadhenu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamadhenu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ricepudding View Post
    Designed?
    Well the mammy cows make it specifically for their babies, so yes.

Aren't humans the only animal to drink another animals milk ? It seems to make sense that some people struggle to digest it. But what do I know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Aren't humans the only animal to drink another animals milk ? It seems to make sense that some people struggle to digest it. But what do I know ?

My mutt is partial to a bowl of skimmed as a treat.. I had my youngest believing for ages that Whiskas cat milk is actually from cats (milked using a scaled down 'cat dairy')

I find that a coffee with honey & milk works for me before a long run, used to drink black coffee but find that it 'sloshes' around in my stomach... weird.