Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 10,000ft per week.

Super Moderator
    BG'ers are from a broad church. Hill-walking, climbing, mountaineering etc is all great. It's about being strong as much as being fit in a conventional sporting sense
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I try to run everything in training. Whatever's put in front of me try to run and then I noticed when I do bob legs walking becomes a bit of a breather.

Quote Originally Posted by JanSoLo View Post
    I try to run everything in training. Whatever's put in front of me try to run and then I noticed when I do bob legs walking becomes a bit of a breather.
    That's a good idea lol. If I try to run every thing I've found I'm too knackered to stay out much longer than 4/5 hours. Walking some hills enables me to get longer days in. A mix of both I guess is probably the way to go for me.

Managed my first 10k week. Lets hope I cam keep it up

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by spen View Post
    Managed my first 10k week. Lets hope I cam keep it up
    Are you attempting a BG this year?

This year is lakeland 100. Next year is BG.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but DT is spot-on. Learning to move/walk/stomp quickly (uphill) without actually running is part of the BG success package. It's a hard-won skill and I know that not everyone can do it.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Wooj View Post
    Thanks for the link Bob. Derby I may just do that. Maybe you could show me some good runs. I come from a climbing/walking back ground so don't know many decent runs round here. And Stolly, yes there is a lot to get right. I've been experimenting with food for a while and forcing myself to eat every half an hour on most of the 2hr plus runs I do. But training isn't that easy for me due to having a very young family and a working wife. Overall I am happy at my current progress ��.
    I just think its all so personal.. before my winter paddy, in the last 5 months I did 6000 ft a week.. probably less for the year.

But I've always been Ok at the hill walking side.

The 10,000ft is a nice target which if running fit you'll probably be OK.

But the ability to run efficiently is overlooked I reckon, just knocking off the quicker miles when they are there.

I think the main thing is to be fit, ultra distance fit, then in the last 2-3 months do bang in the hills, the walking hills, long descents.. get the conditioning in.. sort of a lydiard style training.. just get the base fitness in then sharpen.. which for a marathon is speedwork yet for a BGR big ascents and descents.

Been focussing on 10,000' a week but due to family and work commitments, it's all been 4-5000 at a time. Just spent 3 days in the Lakes and it's uncovered the need for longer times out on your feet. I was with blokes who are faster than I, but by 25 - 26 miles and 7 hours, I was feeling pretty trashed. We'd been up and down Helvellyn the day before and did it again the following day, but note to self....LONG DAYS ARE NOW THE ORDER OF THE DAY (in combination with the 10,000'). We are all different though, so I'm refining what my plan seems to need.

Back up to Lakes in next few days and look at LM42 loop again.

....onwards.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    Been focussing on 10,000' a week but due to family and work commitments, it's all been 4-5000 at a time. Just spent 3 days in the Lakes and it's uncovered the need for longer times out on your feet. I was with blokes who are faster than I, but by 25 - 26 miles and 7 hours, I was feeling pretty trashed. We'd been up and down Helvellyn the day before and did it again the following day, but note to self....LONG DAYS ARE NOW THE ORDER OF THE DAY (in combination with the 10,000'). We are all different though, so I'm refining what my plan seems to need.

Back up to Lakes in next few days and look at LM42 loop again.

....onwards.
    I drove down your street yesterday. There's a hill at the bottom. Put an hour aside once a week, walk up the steepest side and jog down it. Don't overdo it, but two hours at the weekend might be more useful than a long trail run if you can't get to Lakeland. Oh, and keep on . . . it'll come