Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: National XC Champs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    Anyone on here going this year?
    Injured so no run tomorrow. will look out for you all as I will be marshalling tomorrow. So a shout out for Notts AC, Holmepierrepont, Southwell, Hallamshire, Coventry Godivas and of course any other fell runners I recognise.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    I think we have 15 senior men racing.
    The evening's post-national social has 25 attending (not including me as I'm staying in Shottingham for a party)
    That's the big city south of Shotfield!

Just dredging up some decade-old memories!
    What's the going looking like? Presuming firm for most with Heavy in one section in particular. Probably 12mms best all-around option (15s too long for the path bit along the lake?)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Just dredging up some decade-old memories!
    What's the going looking like? Presuming firm for most with Heavy in one section in particular. Probably 12mms best all-around option (15s too long for the path bit along the lake?)
    because of long term injury I haven't run the courses this year. In 2014 on a lovely day the going was generally OK with exception of two sections of oozing mud and black slime towards the end of the lap. I think given recent rain and bad weather they will be even more glorious this time out. I did hear that Mick R, the organiser had been asked by The NXCA to make the course a little more challenging this time around, so some surprises might await!

bring on the big red balls!

Good luck to all today.
    The course was wet and muddy last weekend but may have dried out a bit during the week
    I'll be marshalling on the water splash, should be fun!
    See you all later
    Do what you like, like what you do

Tough today, very tough...

I had a disappointing run and finished around 1200th. But it wasn't the position, or the time (which was actually what I estimated before the race), but the manner of my run.

Couldn't get going at all until the final lap, when I picked up a decent amount of places, as people struggled on the hill sections and that horrible stretch of mud in the final half mile. Managed to pick up some places in a valiant sprint finish as well.

Have to say it was a tough course. The final lap was fantastic, I saw a couple of people walking the hills!

Great event, I was there from around 11am and it was a great day out. Funnily though, my parents who come to watch most of my fell races, find it much more interesting at fell races, which I thought would not be the case, as at the xc you can see exactly what was going on!

My mum commented that "it's tough, but it's not tough like fell racing, where people come back covered in blood".....! I found it incredibly tough, which says more about my strengths and weaknesses than anything else.

Or did I have such a bad run? In a championship fell race I'd probably be expecting to take half the time again of the winner, and today was similar (I was 58 something compared to the winner at 39 something).... But statistics can't hide the fact that I was disappointed with my performance today.

Cheers to the marshals. Corniceman I kept an eye out for you but to no avail. Couldn't see much at all really, as in the meleƩ across the first coup,e of water/mud crossings, I took a full open eyeful of mud and actually thought I was going to have to pull out due to the pain. Couldn't see much after that but luckily it all came out in the shower.

Pete

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Tough today, very tough...

I had a disappointing run and finished around 1200th. But it wasn't the position, or the time (which was actually what I estimated before the race), but the manner of my run.

Couldn't get going at all until the final lap, when I picked up a decent amount of places, as people struggled on the hill sections and that horrible stretch of mud in the final half mile. Managed to pick up some places in a valiant sprint finish as well.

Have to say it was a tough course. The final lap was fantastic, I saw a couple of people walking the hills!

Great event, I was there from around 11am and it was a great day out. Funnily though, my parents who come to watch most of my fell races, find it much more interesting at fell races, which I thought would not be the case, as at the xc you can see exactly what was going on!

My mum commented that "it's tough, but it's not tough like fell racing, where people come back covered in blood".....! I found it incredibly tough, which says more about my strengths and weaknesses than anything else.

Or did I have such a bad run? In a championship fell race I'd probably be expecting to take half the time again of the winner, and today was similar (I was 58 something compared to the winner at 39 something).... But statistics can't hide the fact that I was disappointed with my performance today.

Cheers to the marshals. Corniceman I kept an eye out for you but to no avail. Couldn't see much at all really, as in the meleƩ across the first coup,e of water/mud crossings, I took a full open eyeful of mud and actually thought I was going to have to pull out due to the pain. Couldn't see much after that but luckily it all came out in the shower.

Pete
    Missed you Pete. Spent first 5 hours directing cars into parking areas, before watching women's and men's races. The courses looked great and that last half a mile looked as tough, if not tougher than many a fell race. Well done all, and well done Ben C and Jess J.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    The courses looked great and that last half a mile looked as tough, if not tougher than many a fell race.
    I thought the course was brilliant and would have loved to have run but still recovering from several knee problems so resigned to marshalling at the watersplash which was great fun and shame we had to divert the senior men's race around it. I got nearly as dirty as the competitors!

Credit to you Travs for just doing it and finishing it, the nationals are always tough and there is absolutely nowhere to hide in this event. Unless you start at the very back you have no option but to run eyeballs out from the start as you get swept along by the crowd, take your foot off the gas and you get pushed out of the way or trampled.

There are many on here who talk about brutal fell races etc., but fell races often involve walking at some point and every stile, gate etc., gives a chance for a little breather. In this event there is absolutely no let up at all, it's whole different world of pain.

Well done yesterday and well done to all who took part.
    Sorry I didn't see you Corniceman.
    Do what you like, like what you do

yes, the 'rest' you get in Fell Running makes it an entirely different ball game when it comes to racing, pacing. In XC you're on it all the time - even when pushing a fell race Downhill I'm getting out of Oxygen Debt more than I do at any point in an XC race.

252nd in the end which is about what I expected and similar to last year's result. Still niggling at me a bit...
    I think the top male 'Fell Runner' was Peter Hodgkinson (Notts AC, Hunter's Bog Trotters) in 19th. Sarah Tunstall and Lizzie Browne (nee Adams) were top 20 in toe Women's race, many more fell-reconginsable names in the top 60 of their race compared to the men's!